Main Menu

Removing Mulitmaterials

Started by mattjgerard, August 05, 2020, 08:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

Been using MM as a playground to test and develop new materials, its fantastic. One problem though- If you have the Mat Graph open, and drag a material into the MM list in the materials properties, then delete it, the main material goes away leaving its mess of nodes in the mat graph.

If you do this function in the regular material properties window without the mat graph open, it will remove all the unused nodes from the material you deleted.

I'm in the habit of dragging a couple different materials from the library into the MM manager and messing with them and deleting them as I whittle down my choice, but having to delete dozens of nodes that are left behind is a huge cleanup that would be great to, uh, cleanup :)

Recreate-
1) Create MM
2) without matgraph open, add another material to the MM manager list
3) delete one of the MM, and open the Mat graph. The nodes from the material you deleted are gone.

1) Open Mat Graph,
2) create MM
3) add another material to the MM manager list in the Mat Graph
4) delete it, and see that the nodes that were used to build that material (sometimes dozens) are still there, orphaned.

PerFotoVDB

Aeonjoey

yep this drives me crazy, you also can't multi-select in the mat graph either which might speed this up a little (shift+click to multi select to copy/paste in mat graph would also be awesome!)

mattjgerard

Quote from: Aeonjoey on September 02, 2020, 06:08:43 PM
yep this drives me crazy, you also can't multi-select in the mat graph either which might speed this up a little (shift+click to multi select to copy/paste in mat graph would also be awesome!)

You can shift+drag and select mulitple nodes in the matgraph, the outlining of the nodes doesn't always kick in and become visible, so its hard to tell what you have selected but it works.

DriesV

Interesting behavior...
As a workaround, you can save and reload the scene. That will get rid of all unconnected nodes in all Material Graphs.

Dries

Aeonjoey

Quote from: mattjgerard on September 04, 2020, 06:30:40 AM
Quote from: Aeonjoey on September 02, 2020, 06:08:43 PM

You can shift+drag and select mulitple nodes in the matgraph, the outlining of the nodes doesn't always kick in and become visible, so its hard to tell what you have selected but it works.

MIND BLOWN EMOJI!
I just tried that - wowwww thank you! that's very veyr helpful - I've been looking for a way to 'merge' materials into a multi-material, and i've been copy/pasting one node at a time, this just saved me HOURS OF WORK!!! Thank you!!

Aeonjoey

Quote from: DriesV on September 04, 2020, 07:35:07 AM
Interesting behavior...
As a workaround, you can save and reload the scene. That will get rid of all unconnected nodes in all Material Graphs.

Dries

OMG Thank you!

mattjgerard

Quote from: DriesV on September 04, 2020, 07:35:07 AM
Interesting behavior...

Dries

Maybe a reset or reload button in the interface that can just  updated the matgraph instead of having to reload the entire scene?