Glass rendering (packaging)

Started by OrigamiEstudio, September 15, 2020, 01:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OrigamiEstudio

Hello everyone,
I just rendered a tequila bottle plus its packaging box (Solidworks + keyshot 8). Now that I have an .jpg file of the render, I noticed a strange reflection in the glass, I'd appreciate your expertise on this topic, because the image is not looking good enough with those reflections.
I attached a picture of the issue.
Thanks a lot.

germannick

Reflections and refractions does it to glass. Quickes solution is to Photoshop it with one or two clicks.
I think you have other areas to focus on and detail before you have to worry about this minor reflection, just a thought

OrigamiEstudio

Hi brother, I appreciate the advise. I need about 200 renders in diferent positions, meaning photoshoping each one of them is not an option. About the final details, we're working on them. Could you please elaborate on those other areas you mention?
Thanks again mate.
Have a good day.

designgestalt

what kind of light did you use?
there are a few options here and you have to try them out to see, what works best for you:
- you can soften the light in the HDRI editor by increasing the falloff
- (additionally) you can add a very subtle roughness to your material (i.e. 0,005), which will spread the light a little bit and make it smoother. you have to find the best way in between keeping the shinyness of the material and the spreading of the light!
- try using an emissive as a lightsource
- the worst possiblity maybe: render two scenes with an alpha channel: the package only; the part with the shiny material only !
the scene with the shiny material has a different lighting setup. You than have to combine the two scenes in Photoshop, which could be done with an automation, which may make it easier for you, when you have so many renderings ...
this might be a pain, but since you cannot link lights specifically to objects in KS I have done that many times in the past...

this is all I can add as help from my side!

regards
designgestalt

PS:
one of the things Germannick may be referring to is, that the lighting seems very basic in this screengrab, although it is really hard to give a feedback on this resolution. i.e. the lighting of the right side of the package is too homogeniuos with the frontside. there is not even an edge catching some light, which does not happen in the real world.
I would also go for a more dramatic (theater like) lighting setup, where I would focus the light on the frontside and knock the right side back a little ...
also that noise in the copper material is hard to read, donĀ“t know what that comes from... is that some sort of texture?

however, if you want more advise on this, please deliver a first render in a higher resolution.
I am sure there will be some people giving you more advise on the setup ...

cheers

OrigamiEstudio

Awesome mate! The falloff worked perfectly, thanks a lot.
I will try your recommendations and upload a better render, maybe you can help me more after that.
Thanks again, you're a pro!
Cheers.

OrigamiEstudio

This is a render of the project in better quality. Would be amazing if you give me more advise on how to improve with your expertise mate!
Thanks.