Main Menu

Clear out unused Textures

Started by mattjgerard, August 11, 2020, 12:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

I often open up old projects or use old materials and labels that come up and report that all these jpgs or pngs are missing. When it brings up the list, it would be great to have a tool/button that would just plain delete all the references for those.

Or better yet a full blown material manager that would be used for relinking, deleting, merging, etc of materials so that these problems could be cleared up in a much faster way. Would need to be used to manage the materials in the library as well, as a lot of the times this happens when upgrading keyshot.

PerFotoVDB

Most definitely and welcome addon!!

Also quite irritating when you open a scene and it has missing textures that you have to go into subpaths to add it... a simple button 'Add subpaths' would be very useful.

Cheers
Per

Bob Savage

Keyshot said something like this was high on their to-do list, almost 2 years ago.

I started using labels more often and realized I need to find a better file management method per project to avoid missing files, but a simpler way of dealing with it, built right into the program would be awesome.

https://forum.keyshot.com/index.php?topic=22754.msg97286#msg97286

andy.engelkemier

Oh, and My favorite thing about this that I recently learned....
If you put an image in that is from your library, when someone else sees that it's missing....it lists no path. It'll just say "tarp_bump.png" or something like that. No path. So it doesn't help at All.
And if you have multiple paths where your textures might be, it may not help at all. Maybe it's Yours, and you accidentally moved it? Well, you'll never know where it got moved from.

I guess people who use keyshot don't work with others?

Bob Savage

Quote from: andy.engelkemier on September 10, 2020, 12:11:39 PM
Oh, and My favorite thing about this that I recently learned....
If you put an image in that is from your library, when someone else sees that it's missing....it lists no path. It'll just say "tarp_bump.png" or something like that. No path. So it doesn't help at All.
And if you have multiple paths where your textures might be, it may not help at all. Maybe it's Yours, and you accidentally moved it? Well, you'll never know where it got moved from.

I guess people who use keyshot don't work with others?

I do some audio engineering and one of the nice things with a DAW is they generally offer options like "collect project files" where you simply click the option and it pulls everything required for the project into the project folder.  No need to create a bundle, etc, it's all there.

andy.engelkemier

Keyshot Does have that, sort of. It takes 2 steps though, so it's not as smooth. But it gives a similar result.
If you save a keyshot package, it collects the files and just zips them. When you open that file, it actually forces you to unzip it and puts all the files in one location.
So it's Sort of a "collect files" with extra steps.

But if a file is missing, it doesn't help you.
I've received files from clients that had 80 cameras and a similar number of environments. The file was Clearly bastardized from other people and passed from person to person, ignoring missing files along the way. So when you get it, it takes quite some time to narrow down what you actually need. And when cameras are locked? Even more of a pain because you can't delete them all at once.

There isn't much about keyshot that was designed with multiple users in mind.

Bob Savage

Quote from: andy.engelkemier on September 10, 2020, 12:24:46 PM
Keyshot Does have that, sort of. It takes 2 steps though, so it's not as smooth. But it gives a similar result.
If you save a keyshot package, it collects the files and just zips them. When you open that file, it actually forces you to unzip it and puts all the files in one location.
So it's Sort of a "collect files" with extra steps.

But if a file is missing, it doesn't help you.
I've received files from clients that had 80 cameras and a similar number of environments. The file was Clearly bastardized from other people and passed from person to person, ignoring missing files along the way. So when you get it, it takes quite some time to narrow down what you actually need. And when cameras are locked? Even more of a pain because you can't delete them all at once.

There isn't much about keyshot that was designed with multiple users in mind.

Ah yes, I actually hadn't thought of that.  Make a bundle and extract it.  Funny, sometimes it's the simple things.  :)

Still, simpler would be clicking on a single menu item that just collects into the existing project folder.

Yeah, missing stuff is a bummer.  You're working with way more complex projects than I am.  In the grand scheme of things, mine are really, really basic and have very few external resources.

mattjgerard

It would be super nice if KS gave the option of just dumping all connected assets into a folder, and let the user choose to zip it or not. Keep the package option of course, but add just the "Collect Project Assets" and rejigger the paths to be relative, not absolute. This would be awesome to be able to do in the middle of a project and update the project folder as new assets come in. The function is already there, just skip the packaging part and let me zip it if I want to.

andy.engelkemier

They made it sound like they are at least interested in making it relative paths. If people work remotely using cloud storage, every time you open a file, you have to tell keyshot where your assets are located. We've started dumping all of our assets in one folder (per project of course, otherwise that would be insane). So if I open my coworker's file, I just point to the assets folder and it finds the 80 images it needs. And then I get to yell at him when it doesn't find one and the path is from their desktop. lol (I don't really yell).
OH, and add in the fact that GPU is still F'd up when it comes to refreshing images? It makes troubleshooting hell. Just yesterday it was missing a file, and it was a backplate for the environment. Well I didn't need it, and wanted to render on white anyway. (I actually wanted to render on black, but keyshot doesn't sample alpha channel, so you're stuck rendering ground shadows on white). In my view, it's white. When I go to render, it shows the environment image. So, save. Close, submit all the renders to the queue again. Render, and it's fine. I'm hoping they will eventually fix issues where GPU can actually update images. Right now, if you use GPU, and you change an image, you have to save, close, and open again. I didn't realize it would hang on to an environment image that didn't exist, and then try and change my render style though. Probably a bug, but they probably already know about it, so not worth reporting.