Object isolation mode or "Undo Hide Part" available in the hotkey list

Started by Eugen Fetsch, April 29, 2020, 10:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eugen Fetsch

It would be very helpful to have a selection isolation hot key, that would hide all unselected objects till the hot key is pressed again.
Not like hide/unhide or show only that we have now. More like a "object local mode" where all other objects become invisible and unavalable. Entering and exiting this mode would not effect the current render visibility state of other objects in the model tree.
Working on heavy scenes it is sometimes necessary to focus on one object, see it from all sides and give it all the rendering power awailable to make quick texture and material decissions.

NM-92

andy.engelkemier

It Sort of has it? But it's a bit clunky. It's more like photoshop's isolate. Where if you show or add anything else, you ruined it.
But if you hide an object, you can edit materials, camera, move your object, etc. So long as you don't touch visibility. Then you right click and choose "undo hide."

It's not what you want. It's not what I want. I would also like that, so +1 from me, but I thought I would mention the current solution at least.

NM-92

My solution so far is to use the "show only" option, and then show all parts. This get's tricky when you have previously hidden parts. What i do then is to hide the parts i don't want prior to the "show only", LOCK them, and then use the method i mentioned. This way the previously hidden parts will stay in that state until you unlock them.

INNEO_MWo

first things first +1 on that - one hotkey strike will be very handy

Thinking as a consultant in solutions I've testet a workaround that needs many clicks but works. (I guess that a smart coder can fit this into a script)
1. create a new studio to remember the current state
- activate the model sets with this new studio > it shows the current visibility state of each model set/group/part/... (not testet it with animation nodes)
2. do your selection that should be isolated
3. use the "Create a Model Set from Selection" > use a dummy or temporary name
- new Model Sets are isolated by default
- you can add this as a studio as well
4. activate the "remember the current state studio"
- delete what you don't need anymore

Eugen Fetsch

@Marco
Thanks for your solution and the detailed explanation. But, it's a bit too complicated.

@Andy
Big thanks for that tipp!!! It is a very good workaround for the time beeing.

So, it would be already a solution to have "Show Only" and "Undo Hide Part" in the hotkey list in a state where it's possible to bind a key to it. 
@KeyShot would that be a big deal to implement in one of the future releases?

KeyShot

Eugen Fetsch

SG

Quote from: KeyShot on April 30, 2020, 04:33:45 PM
This is on the list for v10

Perfect! I know such an "isolation mode" from Adobe Illustrator and wish to have that in Keyshot. Very useful when editing complex scenes.