Inventor 2012

Started by Pedro_Julio, November 04, 2011, 12:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedro_Julio

Between being offered my job and starting my job, my employer upgraded from Inventor 2011 to inventor 2012.  We just got KeyShot installed today only to find it's not supported.  :-\

Any information on when Inventor 2012 will be supported? 

guest84672

KeyShot 3. For now export to CATIA and then read it into KeyShot.

PhilippeV8

I've got the older inventor and even now still export to iges or step to go to KS.

guest84672

Why would you do that? If nothing else, use CATIA. Much better.

PhilippeV8

Inventor 2009 -> step or iges -> 3D Via Composer -> (edit part groups etc, "explode by color", make 2D black/white line drawings, etc) -> obj -> KS

Pedro_Julio

Well, I kinda have a work-around going.  Exporting to CATIA causes a Inventor to hang, though, and I dunno why.  So, I've been exporting to STEP files, but here's the really strange thing:

Keyshot on my PC won't open those STEP files properly. Only a couple pieces of the assembly show up. Those same STEP files open just fine on my Mac though.  So I've been opening the STEPs on the Mac and saving them as BIPs that I can use on the PC.

It's weird, but not terrible. I suppose this could do until we get the upgrade to KS3.

Any hints tips or clues though?

guest84672

Hmm - this is odd since it is the same importer ... You didn't check "use old importers" on Win by any chance?

PhilippeV8

I did notice that if you got a part in Inventor which uses the loft or the sweep, they don't work in STEP.  Therefore I use IGES most of the time.

Pedro_Julio

Really?  I didn't know that bit of info.  I'll try an IGES.

EDIT:

No, the IGES didn't work.  In fact it caused KS to hang and crash.

No, Thomas, I'm not using the old importer.

The thing I can't figure out is, why can my mac open the STEP files exported from Inventor, but the PC only opens 2 or 3 components of the assembly?  And it's the same STEP file in both cases.

guest84672

that is indeed strange, because it is the same importer. Not unless you are using different versions of KeyShot?

Pedro_Julio

V2.3.2 on the PC.  I'll have to check the Mac.

guest84672

if you can send me the file I'll be happy to take look.

Pedro_Julio

Sent you an email.  It's a biggish file.  Sorry about that.

guest84672

No worries - we will take a look.