Main Menu

TR3 3970x + RTX 3080

Started by DMerz III, October 22, 2020, 12:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMerz III

:) - new GPU arrived.

Custom built - AMD Threadripper 3 (3970x) - Corsair 64GB RAM - MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi MB - Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080

mattjgerard

good lord.....

Do they work together at all? seems that either one or the other would be unused, unless you have other apps that use them. I'm rocking my 64thread dual intel machine with an oooooold GTX980 in it.

Seems that there is still some niggling issues with the GPU rendering? I jumped into GPU rendering years ago with Octane and spent waaaaaay to much time chasing gremlins and matching exact driver issues and troubleshooting, so I'm wary to go back. CPU seems so solid and reliable.

DMerz III

I am with you on that Matt, I still use CPU about 90% of the time. I had been planning on upgrading my 1070 for a long while, and when I sold my older rig, I sold the 1070 with it, so it was time to get a new GPU. I snagged this one off ebay for more than I probably wanted to pay, but wow...I've only done a few tests with it, and it's absurdly fast.

See screenshot from a quick test I did in 9.3 with caustics on and everything. 2 mins and 45 seconds for 5000 samples.
(1080px squared).

Even faster in KS10 Beta.

mattjgerard

just for funsies yours is on the left, mine on the right.

Just shows how far GPU's have come in the last 5-6 years.

DMerz III

Oh it's insane. I was rocking a 1070 before this, and it was a decent GPU no doubt, but only pulling about a 7.0 on the benchmark - to have something which is 10x that, it's really opening my eyes. I still need to do some more testing, I prefer to use CPU for client work, but for setting up personal/lesarning scenes or animations, this new GPU might be a game-changer. Highly recommend.

wipdesigns

I'd love to see a comparison between the 3970x and a 3080 RTX. Limit them to say 10 minute render of the same scene and see how many samples they can do each (with the final render as the result)

Currently rendering on an old intel i7 3770k and it's painful. The classroom render in blender takes 2m18s on the 3970x and 48m on my cpu. 2060 super makes renders go a lot quicker for sure, but I'd love to know if it's worth investing in 3080/10GB gpu or cpu 3970x and new motherboard + ram

DMerz III

I did this comparison a while back. Specs at the bottom. Not the most robust scene for testing, but kind of gives you an idea of how quickly the samples go vroom on GPU.

I have a 3090 now - and that thing just ...wow...definitely worth it if you are thinking about GPU rendering.