How do I CAD model / render soil in a terrarium?

Started by jakesround, October 29, 2020, 12:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesround

Hi there, I've modelled this desk design for my Uni project which includes this terrarium centrepiece in the middle (see attached). I want to be able to place succulents within the glass container but of course they need to be planted in soil, but I have no idea how to go about it.

I would appreciate any ideas that anyone has or textures that anyone is aware of that I could use that would enable me to finalise the scene.

Thank you in advance.

mattjgerard

you can certainly use image textures, plenty of places to get those, and such a wide variety that I won't even attempt to link any, you just need to look for ones that would work. Poliigon.com has some pretty nice looking image-scanned versions.

Otherwise if you need to use actual geometry, you can look for some displacement maps and do that right in keyshot in the material graph.

You could avoid the soil/moss being visible by modeling some sort of container or pot that they live in, sort of a raised bed garden look as well.

Either way, my biggest advice is to look for inspiration in other models, and take bits and parts of them to incorporate into your own.

jakesround

Brilliant thank you for your reponse. I'll be looking into the geometry displacement with the photoscanned textures on poligon. Cheers for your help!