Started by ohashi3d, November 25, 2020, 12:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohashi3d

I've just tested Mac mini M1.

CPU: Apple M1
Memory: 8GB

KeyShotViewer 10.0.198 benchmark: 1.04
KeyShot 10.0.198 camera benchmark: 102FPS

These scores are obtained via Rosetta2... so if Luxion provides M1 native binaries, we may see better scores :)

aydinmer

I am new to this. Is this a good score?
Did you run the Keyshot as well or are these benchmark tools separate from Keyshot itself somehow?

ohashi3d

Quote from: aydinmer on December 07, 2020, 12:56:17 PM
I am new to this. Is this a good score?
Did you run the Keyshot as well or are these benchmark tools separate from Keyshot itself somehow?

KeyShot Viewer is a separate tool from KeyShot itself, and has its own benchmark program.
The meaning of KeyShot Viewer Benchmark's score is explained like this:
" The resulting numbers are multiples based on render time. A score of 1.0 is based on an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6900K CPU @3.20GHz, 2601 Mhz, 8 Core(s)."
Source: https://luxion.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/K9M/pages/1062448038/KeyShot+Viewer

So... 1.04 is not extreme at all, but enough excellent as a low power consuming machine (around 30W with my power meter), I think.

aydinmer

Thanks for your reply. Does this mean that Keyshot is running without any problem (through Rosetta) on M1?

I am a product designer who uses Rhinoceros and Keyshot on a daily basis but I am sick of noisy laptop fans so considering a light laptop for simple 3D tasks ( for heavy things I would still go for a well spec'ed desktop). I read that Rhinoceros is unfortunately not stable on M1 because of opengl driver problems and I am wondering if that's the case with Keyshot as well

DriesV

Quote from: aydinmer on December 07, 2020, 11:15:06 PM
... Does this mean that Keyshot is running without any problem (through Rosetta) on M1?

Here at Luxion, we have not tested KeyShot on the new Apple M1 chips. We have seen reports from customers that have had success running KeyShot, but at this point the hardware remains unverified by Luxion and can thus not be recommended to our customers. If it does run, then it runs entirely emulated through Rosetta 2, so the performance will be compromised to some degree.

That being said, we do have pending investigations and development work into supporting the ARM architecture without emulation through Rosetta 2.
We will keep you updated on the progress in this area.

Dries

aydinmer

Thanks for the reply! I actually asked a friend of mine who just got a MacBook Pro M1 to try Keyshot and seems like Keyshot runs stable enough to do basic things on the go.

It is also great to hear that you guys are starting with the development of native ARM version. I am really looking forward to be using Keyshot on new Macs. Is there a news blog or something about this to follow the process?

Gsupernova

Quote from: aydinmer on December 07, 2020, 11:15:06 PM
Thanks for your reply. Does this mean that Keyshot is running without any problem (through Rosetta) on M1?

I am a product designer who uses Rhinoceros and Keyshot on a daily basis but I am sick of noisy laptop fans so considering a light laptop for simple 3D tasks ( for heavy things I would still go for a well spec'ed desktop). I read that Rhinoceros is unfortunately not stable on M1 because of opengl driver problems and I am wondering if that's the case with Keyshot as well

Mind you,rhino 3D is not supported on m1 Mac yet