Drive engine

Started by chevisw, December 03, 2020, 02:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chevisw

So I am wondering how i can improve the Blue shader - it feels to rigid, and I'm trying to get a "thruster feel" - Im tring to get it to taper off vertical as it is horizontal and to get some type noise that breaks it up.

Any direction or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

DMerz III

I would add some 'Bloom' in the image tab settings - try something like 100px on the radius and .8 on the threshold to start, though you should experiment to get the look you want.

This video might be handy; https://youtu.be/E41qie6b4as

chevisw

Thanks for the sugestion, I also watched that video earlier which is what got me to here

DMerz III

Well, just looking at your reference imagery, the shape of your 'beam' looks like a flat plane as opposed to something with volume, you could try modeling something with more thickness to it which matches the shape of your 'engine' output, and also crank up the value on the emission shader in the materials tab. The reference basically blocks out the ship behind the beam so it feels more intense.

chevisw

Thanks, Im making the tweaks and i think im getting it better. Now if i could only remember how i made it fade out at the end.... I appreciate the help

DMerz III

:D Looking more like it! Gradient node into the opacity channel should help with that fade you're looking for