Oak Kong Puzzle Rendering

Started by DaStig, December 05, 2020, 08:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaStig

Hi there folks, made a nice oak puzzle scenery rendering. I think it looks good, but still, can be better. It is still missing that photo-real touch ... how can I improve on this ?

Any suggestions on improvement are welcome ...

My render (still not looking real enough  :-\)

I want it to look more like this one ...

TGS808

For starters, add some DoF. A little goes a long way towards making scenes look more real. Having everything in the scene completely in focus is always a dead giveaway that it isn't real.

cango

agree on the dof comment.
The darker woods on the 2nd pic are Wenge, and the striped ones Zebrano, if it could help (if you didn't know, of course)

DaStig

Thnx folks, yeah ... adding some DOF to it surely helps to make it more real ... but it eats a whole lot more rendering time, rendering with DOF on. But hey, it's the final result that counts ...

Kico

Quote from: DaStig on December 06, 2020, 09:45:47 PM
Thnx folks, yeah ... adding some DOF to it surely helps to make it more real ... but it eats a whole lot more rendering time, rendering with DOF on. But hey, it's the final result that counts ...

You can render out "depth pass" and use Photoshop to add DOF later in post , work most of the time ...

Cheers

DaStig

@kico, can you explain me on how to achieve that?

Eric Summers

Kico

Quote from: DaStig on December 07, 2020, 11:11:17 AM
@kico, can you explain me on how to achieve that?
You can reference this video below, along with the one Eric posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_iMUp5gVsY

Josh3D

A little more attention on the materials and lighting will help. Some varied roughness and warmer light sources. Look at the small variation of materials - even very smooth oak can have a lot of imperfections. Looking forward to the next version ;-)