Hard to replicate material.

Started by timeworm, December 19, 2020, 08:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timeworm

Hello fellows,
I am trying to replicate the following material without luck. Any ideas....????
Any help will be much appreciated!!!

TGS808

What is that? What exactly have you tried so far and what were your results?

timeworm

This material is cellulose acetate. It is from a manufacturer called Mazzucchelli. You can chech the link bellow!!! ;)
https://www.mazzucchelli1849.it/products/017927ctn

First i tried to use the texture i attached in my post as it is but it was super failure! ;) :P

Second try i am using spots but the main problem is that i cannot add colors and in general the overall feeling is far away from the original material.
Keep in mind that i am not an expert in keyshot advanced material. More like intermediate!

Thank you.

HaroldL

I am no expert but I think you'd have better luck using the Flakes in the Geometry node of the Material Graph.

timeworm

Harold, i tried earlier today the method you propose but..no luck! :(

HaroldL

Yeah, I tried it too and had no luck. That material looks like chips or shards of material embedded in a clear body material. That may be a tough to impossible material to replicate with KS.

mattjgerard

Yeah this might be more of a geometry solution, not a texture/material. You might have to use some sort of scatter cloner to actually create the geometry of all the flakes/colored bits.

timeworm

Quote from: mattjgerard on December 22, 2020, 09:36:37 AM
Yeah this might be more of a geometry solution, not a texture/material. You might have to use some sort of scatter cloner to actually create the geometry of all the flakes/colored bits.

Thanks for your reply!!!
Can i do something like this inside keyshot..???

designgestalt

actually I don´t think you´ll succeed in Keyshot in this case ...
you can replace the flakes with an image and with some sort of gradient on the image (kind of like a cloth wrinkle image) it is possible to mimik some sort of depth, but it does not get anywhere close to what you are after.

Do you have access to an animation program and do you know some basics about particles?
Because this is what I would do:
Create a particle system outside of Keyshot and import it back again. You could either do the full assembly and make sure you have two different materials applied: one for the solid and one for the particles, or you just import the particles by themselves and combine it in Keyshot with the solid model...

cheers
designgestalt

andy.engelkemier

This is actually a really good case for creating the "interior model" in blender 2.92a using geometry nodes. With that you can fill a volume with objects. Particles can work in most DCC software as well, but it's often not as easy to control distribution inside a volume. With geometry nodes you can also have it do a boolean with the outer surface, so it's actually cut where it should be.
But notice that little "a" there in the name. It's not terribly stable at the moment, especially with geometry nodes as that's one of the newest features.
But you'll find a few tutorials out there for filling a volume with objects.
If you Do go that method, just something to note, your imported CAD model needs to be cleaned up a bit before you go trying to use it for a boolean operation.

timeworm

Quote from: andy.engelkemier on January 04, 2021, 04:48:02 AM
This is actually a really good case for creating the "interior model" in blender 2.92a using geometry nodes. With that you can fill a volume with objects. Particles can work in most DCC software as well, but it's often not as easy to control distribution inside a volume. With geometry nodes you can also have it do a boolean with the outer surface, so it's actually cut where it should be.
But notice that little "a" there in the name. It's not terribly stable at the moment, especially with geometry nodes as that's one of the newest features.
But you'll find a few tutorials out there for filling a volume with objects.
If you Do go that method, just something to note, your imported CAD model needs to be cleaned up a bit before you go trying to use it for a boolean operation.

Thank you Andy. I just download blender latest version and i will give it a try but i am terrible at blender. :P I will try again to remember the basics, fingers crossed. If any other related help, it would be more than welcomed.

Thank you!!!!

andy.engelkemier

Well, apparently I'm terrible at blender too because looking at it more closely, you can't actually export geometry nodes yet. They are just kind of letting people play with Some of geometry nodes. They haven't yet put a way to convert it yet. And it is still missing about 3/4 of the nodes they intend on putting in.
But I'm being silly, you can accomplish the same thing with particles, and currently Better than geometry nodes. Geometry nodes will be great once they are closer to finishing because you could set it up, and it's all parametric. Using particles you Do have to bake it.
You could Probably do what you need in grasshopper also, but you'll need to find a grasshopper expert for that.

First create a model that will be in that material suspension. (make it as simple as you can get away with)
Then duplicate that (Shift+D) and move it aside. Tweak that one. Repeat that till you have enough.
Select them all, then hit M to put in a new collection.

Now select the model you want those to be inside.
Add a particle system by hitting the plus sign in the particles tab.
Change frame start and end to both be 1.
Change source to be volume.
Turn on rotation and change randomize to 1.
Change render to be "collection" and choose your collection. Change the scale here as needed. You can add randomness to further randomize your pieces also.

Now you should have your object filled with these things in a random way. They probably overlap some. You could change distribution to grid, then there is "random" pretty close by underneath that to give a more poisson like distribution.

Save

With your object selected, go to the modifier tab (wrench) and click convert.
You've just create a Bunch of objects. You need 1 object from those. Select them all, and nothing else, and Join them (Ctrl+J)

Delete your particle system, but hitting the minus where you added it. Then add a boolean modifier.
Click "Object" there and choose the object you just joined, and cross your fingers that your model is water tight.

And hey, if you haven't used blender in a while, at least it's easier now. They finally got on board with the rest of the world with the whole Left click thing. lol