Author Topic: Is Luxion abandoning the Mac?  (Read 364 times)

Offline Tony

Is Luxion abandoning the Mac?
« on: January 05, 2021, 09:56:10 pm »
On GPU Rendering

While GPU rendering is available for Windows systems running Nvidia cards, Keyshot still doesn’t support the Metal API on macOS, which would allow GPU rendering on the Mac.

I understand the performance-per-dollar value of Windows-based systems, which is precisely why GPU rendering on the Mac would be extra worth it, in order to take advantage of the powerful AMD graphics cards Macs have.

On Apple Silicon

Apple Silicon was announced in June, while Keyshot 10 was introduced in November, one could think that a beta version of Keyshot 10 running natively on Apple Silicon would have been available by now.

For the record; Maxon’s Cinema 4D already supports Apple Silicon, and Redshift GPU rendering on macOS has been on beta for a while.

Given the proven CPU and GPU performance of entry-level Apple Silicon and the expectations for the high-end stuff, I can only imagine how fast could Keyshot be running natively on the new architecture and supporting GPU rendering.

The Future

I’m bringing all of these because I’m planning to invest in software and hardware for my independent business, and the lack of support for the Mac will force me to invest in PC equipment solely for the sake of taking advantage of all Keyshot features, since most of my work is done with macOS software, like Sketch.

I believe Keyshot is the best rendering software out there, ironically it’s very Mac-like, in the sense that it’s very powerful albeit very user-friendly. But a 2000-dollar piece of software is not an easy purchase for one that claims to support the Mac when it fully does not.

Frankly, it would be simpler if they ditch the macOS version and turn into Windows-only software, kind of like SolidWorks.

Offline SG

Re: Is Luxion abandoning the Mac?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 03:50:59 pm »
I totally agree with you. Mac Users want to use GPU-rendering too. So please add support for Metal / AMD Cards.

Offline TGS808

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 07:11:48 pm »
Is Luxion abandoning the Mac?

No.

Frankly, it would be simpler if they ditch the macOS version and turn into Windows-only software, kind of like SolidWorks.

Frankly, that sounds like a terrible idea.

Offline Tony

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 11:45:56 pm »
No.
Wow, you really are eloquent, aren't you?

Frankly, that sounds like a terrible idea.
It isn't since they don't fully support the Mac. No software is better than half-baked software. All or nothing at all.

Offline Eugen Fetsch

« Reply #4 on: Today at 03:08:42 am »
It isn't since they don't fully support the Mac. No software is better than half-baked software. All or nothing at all.
1. Please stay polite, even if you get short answers.
2. Just because some features are not awailable on Mac, it doesn't mean that KS is a half-baked software. It's the same thing, like saying that Mac is a half-baked computer, just because it doesn't support NVIDIA. Think different ;P

Offline TGS808

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:45:03 am »

In fact, I am but your question didn’t require any more than the response I gave. You asked. I answered. If you’re not happy with the answer, that’s on you.

That’s beyond preposterous. If you’re not happy with KeyShot, lots of other engines out there for you to try.