Worries with upgrading to KeyShot 10

Started by Tomas M-F, December 08, 2020, 03:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomas M-F

Hi all,

I'm currently creating an animation for the company I work for In KeyShot 9. This is a shame because the key frame feature in keyshot 10 looks great and would save me sooo much time and make the animation much easier and more advanced.

The company is afraid that upgrading may break some or all of the animation files from the past or the one I am currently working on. Is there any basis to that fear? I myself haven't seen any claims of upgrading corrupting or messing with KeyShot 9 files but I might not have looked deep enough. What's also import is if I'm even able to use KeyShot 10 features if I created the file using KeyShot 9.

To summarise, I would love to know if their is any danger/inconveniences associated with upgrading to KeyShot 10 and opening/using KeyShot 9 files that have animation. Because I would love to use the key frame feature in KeyShot 10.

Thanks In advance

Tomas

DriesV

Hi Thomas,

KeyShot 10 has been tested to ensure backward compatibility with all KeyShot 9 features, including all animation features. There is always a possibility that we missed a particular scenario in testing, so transitioning between major versions of KeyShot should always be done with due diligence.
There are a number of things you can do to keep the risk of "corrupting" existing scenes to an absolute minimum:

• Always make backups of your (completed) scenes, so that you can fall back on versions, that you know behave correctly.
  • Never open an original KeyShot 9 scene and overwrite/save it in KeyShot 10. Make a copy of the scene first, and then work on that copy.
  • You can always deactivate KeyShot 10 and activate KeyShot 9. And the other way around. You will never be "locked" into using KeyShot 10.

If you follow these simple guidelines, then KeyShot 10 can never mess up your existing KeyShot 9 scenes. :)

Dries

tomlai

Still Render of an animation does not render current timeline position and scene present in Realtime Window but always renders Frame 1.
This was not the case in earlier KS versions.

Workaround of choosing a single frame as frame range in Render Animation is not intuitive and hampers work flow.