Opacity when aligning to backplate

Started by danclarkwcp, November 11, 2011, 07:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danclarkwcp

Is there a way to temporarily adjust the overall opacity of a model? This would be very helpful when aligning a model to a backplate. I'm trying to replace part of a product photo with a new piece that I'm rendering, so I'd like to get the alignment as close as possible, before fiddling in Photoshop.

guest84672

Not really.

Have you tried using the ground grid?

Speedster

There's a slick trick that may help.  I had a similiar situation of precisely fitting a new CAD model into a client supplied backplate of an operating room.  The new product was to replace the old "real" one.

I imported the new SolidWorks model twice, with each in perfect alignment with each other using the import settings.  Then I applied an "X-ray" to the second model (anything transparent works, like glass, etc.), hid the first model, and adjusted everything to suit, since I could see through it.  This did include positions, camera, FL and the like.  Then I showed the first model and readjusted it to the first.  Hide the second, and you're good to go.

Be sure to save everything!

Also, I then used the second model for a clown pass, making life easy in Photoshop.

Bill G

PhilippeV8