Creating a Roughness Map for Keyshot

Started by daviddenton, February 23, 2021, 03:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daviddenton

I am relatively new to Keyshot and digital sculpting and I own Zbrush, Keyshot 7, and Photoshop.

I want to be able to create a map that will allow me to precisely define the degree of roughness in different parts of a model. For example, I may want the area around the eye on a face to be smoother, the skin on the cheek slightly rough, and the skin on the chin even rougher.

I tried creating a map by polypainting black, white, and grey on a face that had a UV. I turned this polypainting into a texture map. When I tried to apply this to the same model in Keyshot in the material graph to drive the roughness, I couldn't get the texture to wrap properly around the model.

Am I going about this the completely wrong way or am I on the right track? Any help would be gratefully received.

Zeltronic

Hi, just check by selecting your texture in mat graph that UV mapping is selecting (default is box if that is the case just change to UV).
As a reminder black=no roughtness white=full roughtness.

daviddenton

Thanks for the reply. I changed it to UV and everything was just black. There were none of the white areas left. I'm not sure whether I created the map properly in ZBrush.

daviddenton

If this helps to work out what I'm doing wrong, here are two screenshots plus the UV texture map. For this test, I'm trying to create a rough skin with smooth eyes. You can see that everything is just black when I do the preview color option on the texture map.

Zeltronic

Set those parameters to 1 it should solve your trouble ....;)

daviddenton

That's fantastic, thanks. You've opened up a whole new world of possibilities for me.  :)