Logi MX Keys Lighting Study

Started by DMerz III, February 25, 2021, 01:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMerz III

:) Just having some fun with this model from Dimensiva - I have one of these keyboards and it was a nice reference for the shaders.
Mix of HDRI + Physical Area Light

Higuchi

Looks great! Is the highlight from the left behind made by HDRI or physical light?

Actually, I'm wondering if I would subscribe Dimensiva or another one. How's Dimensiva's 3D model? Is it embedding texture data, or do you need to apply material on Keyshot from the beginning? Although Dimensiva's 3D models and their space rendering samples look so fantastic, they are totally optimized for 3DS-MAX, don't they?

DMerz III

The 'key' light here on the left corner is an area light - the rest of the lighting comes from the HDRI environment.

I just subscribed to Dimensiva about a week ago - so far been pretty happy with the quality of the modeling. I'm mostly interested in the geometry, though they do come mapped with textures - such as the keys mapping here which I repurposed in the material graph editor as an opacity channel for my labels. (And the keys here were UV'd already). I have found that not all parts will be UV'd but that's usually because some parts wouldn't need it.

The rest of the materials I usually plan on recreating myself in Keyshot, so yeah, to answer your question, there's still work to do with them when you get them if you plan on using Keyshot, but in terms of quality in the geometry, top notch compared to something like random off Turbosquid where you never quite know what you're getting.

Higuchi

Thank you for your helpful insights!

As you mentioned it, I've confirmed some types of model with UV mapped or not. But, other than this issue, the quality of models published on Dimensiva look really nice than others. I'm going to subscribe it. Glad you to go on sharing related information for us!

By the way, thanks to essential latest update by Luxion, there seems to be no stress except for easily getting 3D model asset where the texture is embedded, compared to another famous renderers like V-Ray, Corona, Cycle. I strongly hope raw Keyshot model data will become popular on the field of 3D asset stores.

mattjgerard

How do  you like the keyboard? My trusty logitech is dying and the corsair I just got to try out isn't working. Too gamey, keys are too far apart, but it has macro keys, which I really like.

DMerz III

Hey Matt! Good to hear from you.

I like the keyboard a lot - It suits the minimal, good-looking, wireless, full-num pad specifics I was looking for and charges with USB-C, which also charges my Logi MX Master 3 mouse (and my headphones), so I only need 1 type of cord on my desk which I appreciate.

I do think the battery on it is a little weak, when I originally got it, I was using the backlighting as I like my office a little dark if I can help it, and this kills the battery verrrry fast. Got a little tip from Richard to turn that backlighting off, and now it goes weeks before I need to recharge.

In terms of the feel of the keys, I really like it, feels great. Not quite the same as mechanical keys if you're used to that (which I am not).