Oak Wood Surface

Started by besp, April 19, 2021, 01:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besp

Hi! I'm doing a rendering for a kitchen bench. I'm having some issues with the procedural wood texture. The problem is that the front panel, the large part in the front, looks too stripy and uninteresting, and maybe I need to split this part and make it look like a finger joint profile. It is complicated with the procedural wood texture to achieve this. I can't find any other good textures for this to also color match the other part of the bench. I'm attaching my rendering and some inspiration images. Any suggestions to achieve a better and more realistic surface would be appreciated. Thanks!

HaroldL

I think you will need to split the panel into separate pieces in the modeling program.  I don't think KeyShot will do that. I had to do the same thing in some of my models.

In this table model each piece is a separate part in CAD in order to get the wood grain right.

besp

Nice job! A result like that is something I'm looking for. So, you split the top in multiple parts and then tweaked the procedural texture?

Quote from: HaroldL on April 19, 2021, 09:20:45 AM
I think you will need to split the panel into separate pieces in the modeling program.  I don't think KeyShot will do that. I had to do the same thing in some of my models.

In this table model each piece is a separate part in CAD in order to get the wood grain right.

besp

I solved the issue with proper textures

HaroldL

Quote from: besp on April 19, 2021, 11:54:52 PM
Nice job! A result like that is something I'm looking for. So, you split the top in multiple parts and then tweaked the procedural texture?

Quote from: HaroldL on April 19, 2021, 09:20:45 AM

This is a model of my dining table. I modeled it in Alibre Design CAD the same way it was built, multiple pieces assembled together. Then as each piece had material applied in KS the texture was moved/adjusted to give individual appearances.

besp

Textures instead of procedural textures. Some more detailing and coloring and it's finished.