Polarised sunglass material

Started by McGugan, March 15, 2021, 06:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGugan

Can anyone help me with how to create a transparent mirrored surface like on Esben Oxholm's YouTube video from 2017; Polarised Glass.
I can see that there are several people asking the same question. Since Keyshot has had some updates since then and the settings he shows are no where to be found (or maybe they are called something different) I have not been able to find a solution.

Attached are two screen shots from Esben's video showing what he created back then and this is what I am would like to create in Keyshot 10 pro.

I look forward for any tips or suggestions.

TGS808

I think the only real thing that's changed here is that there is no longer a checkbox in preferences to turn on experimental features. To turn them on you need to access the KS10Settings.xml file. It should be where all your KS resources install too. On Mac it's ‎⁨Macintosh HD⁩/⁨Library⁩/Application Support⁩/⁨KeyShot10. I don't know the path for Windows but I'm sure you can find it (assuming you're on Windows). Once you do, open it and change⁩:

<experimental_features bool="false"/> to <experimental_features bool="true"/>

To be honest I don't even know if Surface Backside Mask is still an option once they are activated but if it is you should be good to go.

McGugan

I did finally find a solution in the forum from bdesign - Topic: Infinity Mirror Effect. One way/ Two way.

The solution works, but it doesn't seem possible to add a polarised surface finish. I will keep playing with this solution and see what all is possible.

Thanks for the input KS forum team.

TGS808

You shouldn't have to search too hard for a solution. If Surface Backside Mask is still an experimental feature, you'll be able to do exactly what Esben did in his video.

McGugan

Your proposal that I should access the KS10Settings.xml file sounds a bit to complicated for me. I have found the file you mention, but I have know idea how or where I must change from false to true. I am using a Mac just to let you know.

TGS808

Open the .xml file in TextEdit.

Search for the word "experimental" using COMMAND+F.

When you find it you will see this line highlighted:
<experimental_features bool="false"/>

Change the word "false" to "true" and then save.

When you are back in KS, experimental features will be active.

If you want to change it back, just change "true" back to "false" and save. You won't break anything by doing this.

TGS808

Good news. I checked and Surface Backside Mask is still available in the material graph if you activate the experimental features. So, follow the steps above to turn them on and you'll be able to follow all of Esben's tutorial video to the letter.

McGugan

I have followed the your steps and the "Surface Backside Mask" is now available. Thanks for your help on this.

I have experimented a little with the two different solutions (Dielectric verses Chrome) and have discovered that the edges of the glass look more realistic when using the Dielectric material and Glass solid. But the Chrome and Glass solid, dose the trick as well (once the Surface Backside Mask is turned on) if you don't need to see the edges of the glass.

I have attached some info. so you can see the results and the material graph settings.

Once again, thank you for your help.
Best regards Steve