Move tool getting worse with each update.

Started by mikejb, March 30, 2021, 01:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikejb

The move tool gimbal is in desperate need of improvement to make it more visible when in use. Almost all of the time when I'm using it, it blends into the background and makes it hard to see where the x,y,z points are so selecting them to make movements is sometimes complete guesswork. I know I can adjust the coordinates through the translation menu, but this is slow and cumbersome. Also, why has it been made smaller than in previous versions? That makes it even worse.

mattjgerard

I'd have to agree on this one. Recently i've had the move tool being obscured by geometery , if I'm moving the camera around, the gizmo will show up, but when I stop to grab a handle or loop, it will be hidden behind the geo. I can still grab the handle if I click on the right spot, but yeah, its a pain.

tomlai

Has this behavior been fixed?

I reinstalled the graphics card driver (NVIDIA 1650) and the weird behavior disappeared for a session or two. But its now back. So it may be a graphics card issue...

Its as if the gimbal is BEHIND the geometry being moved.
This behavior only occurs when the SCENE tab is active.

So clicking on MATERIAL/CAMERA/ENVIRONMENT tabs brings back the gimbal in front of the geometry being moved.

Erik Williams

While the move tool arrow can be difficult to see at certain angles, we have not seen this issue in some time.

What version of KeyShot are you currently using?
This issue should have been solved a few versions ago. If you have not already done so, please upgrade to the latest build of KeyShot 10.2 to see if you still experience this issue.
While the GTX 1650 is not fully supported, it should not be the causing this issue.

Do you experience this with all our scenes, or a few specific files?
If this happens with a specific scene, please send a copy of it as a .ksp file to our Support team at support@luxion.com
Our team will look into this issue.

Best Regards,

Erik Williams
Luxion Customer Support

KristofDeHulsters

Quote from: Erik Williams on August 24, 2021, 01:14:19 AM
While the move tool arrow can be difficult to see at certain angles, we have not seen this issue in some time.

What version of KeyShot are you currently using?
This issue should have been solved a few versions ago. If you have not already done so, please upgrade to the latest build of KeyShot 10.2 to see if you still experience this issue.
While the GTX 1650 is not fully supported, it should not be the causing this issue.

Do you experience this with all our scenes, or a few specific files?
If this happens with a specific scene, please send a copy of it as a .ksp file to our Support team at support@luxion.com
Our team will look into this issue.

Best Regards,

Erik Williams
Luxion Customer Support

Hi Erik,

I have experienced the disappearing gismo issue as well. It does it with every scene, I have recently upgraded to an RTX3080 and the issue still persists. It is very annoying to deal with and the fact that so many people seem to chime in means that it is something prevalent for a lot of users.

Erik Williams

You mentioned that you recently upgraded to an RTX 3080 and are still experiencing this issue. Can everyone experiencing this issue send me a copy of their DxDiag file or computer specifications? This will help us to compare the specs of users experiencing this to determine if there are any similarities that could be causing this.

You can email this to me directly at support@luxion.com.

Best Regards,

Erik Williams
Luxion Customer Support

Erik Williams

We were finally able to find out what exactly is causing this issue. When 'Use CPU for selection outlines' and 'Show coordinate legend' are both activated, this pushes the move tool behind the geometry.
Deactivating either one of these will solve the issue.
If it does not, please delete the KSSettings.xml file located in your Resource Folder to clear any cached data. KeyShot will then accept that either 'Show coordinate legend' and/or 'Use CPU for selection outlines' has been disabled.

Our developers are working on this issue now and hope to have it solved with the KeyShot 11 release.

Thank you for your patience while we work to solve this issue.

Best Regards,

Erik Williams
Luxion Customer Support

KristofDeHulsters

Hi Eric,

Thanks for looking further into it. I never have the coordinate legend on anyway so I doubt this will solve the issue. It also seems to be an inconsistent problem. I worked for 8 hours today and didn't run into the issue at all. I'll send you the log once I run into serious issues with this again.

Either way, I'm hoping it will be resolved in K11. Overall I do like the smaller gismo. It's less intrusive.

tomlai

Thank you

Unchecking "Use CPU for selection outlines" has fixed the front/back issue

Now look at why the move tool "rotate gizmo" disappears when the rotation axis is "orthograpic" to view>
Not only "not visible", but actually non-functional. I cannot rotate the geometry around the axes that are not visible.

Examples attached:

tomlai

Behavior when "Use CPU for selection outlines" was enabled and gizmo was behind only the geometry being manipulated