tessellation change after creating model sets

Started by andy.engelkemier, April 02, 2021, 08:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

I was given a file and it's Huge. Did a bunch of work on it, then realized why it was huge. Some parts have the tessellation set at a molecular level for some reason. (ok, not quite that bad, but it's Dense).

Oddly, it seems that keyshot is being Somewhat smart about the data. My file is about 480MB. With an extra model set it only goes up by about 4MB. Exporting an fbx file, I noted that the file was 187MB. So my guess is keyshot's mesh data is somewhere around 400+MB (really? would that be right?) and that creating a new model set is actually keeping the data instanced.....UNTIL you do something like try and change the tessellation?

I'm guessing that because I did a test file and noted that the tessellation is Not kept instanced. So once you change one, you've basically got 2 unique objects. I'm hoping it at least only keeps one copy of the nurbs data, but who knows other than luxion folks?

I'm wondering if there's actually a way to retessellate All the same objects and have them keep their instance. Honestly, I wish you could control instancing a Little in keyshot. I'd like the data to warn me if I do something that is going to break the model instance between model sets. A setting to keep the mesh data always instanced would be nice, allowing us to keep files small, but still be able to move parts around.
I guess in that same area, I'd also like them to be able to externally reference another keyshot file so the mesh and nurbs data isn't even stored in my working file, just object positions. But I'm not sure that will happen any time soon.

If anyone has some secret methods here, I'd love to know them.

mattjgerard

Would be nice to know which objects were instances in the scene tree. Different icon, or highlight color or something. Also would be cool to have control over the instances from the original object that would flow the changes to the instances.