exported .usdz (USDZ) does not work well on iOS devices

Started by Higuchi, April 04, 2021, 06:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Higuchi

Hi there,

Do you usually succeed in exporting .usdz and playing it on iPhone? I couldn't make it with specific model, though I've tried it many times with different conditions. My iPhone can recognize .usdz as AR data and automatically boot Quick Look application, but it couldn't end up successfully open it. Since I can properly use it with simple model and material, the cause of fail seems to be in the model, I guess. Can anyone come up with the factors which I have to confirm?

My conditions are
- .usdz file is 6.2MB (I think it's not too large to play)
- I've tried it on iPhoneIX and latest iPadpro with latest iOS
- The consequence doesn't improve, though I remove any complex texture data

Higuchi

*update

I've found out the cause of the problem. Original 3D data is made of IGES, then I converted to other common format on Solidworks. In the end, as far as I experiment, only IGES does not work well on Keyshot. Other than USDZ issue, Keyshot cannot seem to properly display IGES data on time, possibly it might happen this data.

As a result
-.sldpart ---> Success
-.x_t ---> Success
-.step ---> Success
-.iges ---> Failure

Anyway, I managed to resolve this problem by converting 3D data. I hope it would be helpful for you.

INNEO_MWo

Hello Ryosuke.

Thank you for sharing your test results and solution. This might help other users to solve this issue.
I am wondering about this, that the IGES format causes trouble.

Hope that Luxion's devs look into this.

CheerEO
Marco

ddolezal

Hello,

I hope it is ok to append my question to this thread:

We also have problems exporting to USDZ, because the USDZ always contains the baseplane of the keyshot file, which is in our cas 1500 x1500 cm.
When we have a model like a 0,33l Aluminium can, this looks quite weird after the model is loaded on the iphone.
Are there any possibilities to exclude the baseplane in the USDZ-Export, that only the can is included and displayed in a proper size/scaling when the USDZ is "i-opened"?

Thanks,
Dieter

Higuchi

Hi Dieter,

In my experiences, I've never faced what you mentioned. I know there are still many issues about USDZ and AR on Keyshot, but the scale is always proper on AR. Hope it will be a bit reference for you.

Higuchi

My pleasure. Hope we Keyshot users can contribute the update of Keyshot!

Quote from: INNEO_MWo on April 05, 2021, 09:17:13 PM
Hello Ryosuke.

Thank you for sharing your test results and solution. This might help other users to solve this issue.
I am wondering about this, that the IGES format causes trouble.

Hope that Luxion's devs look into this.

CheerEO
Marco

Erik Williams

Hello Ryosuke,

To get a better understanding of the issue, we would need some additional information. If you could, please send the following to support@luxion.com. A representative will look into this further.

• import settings
  • "type of failure"
  • the original IGES files for testing
  • a working usdz based on one of the other formats
  • a usdz that is not working based on the IGES

You can send all of this to us through our secure WeTransfer link at https://keyshot.wetransfer.com/

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,

Erik Williams

KristofDeHulsters

Wow, impressive that you figured out what was causing the issue!

cameraman!1

Quote from: KristofDeHulsters on July 14, 2021, 03:16:04 PM
Wow, impressive that you figured out what was causing the issue!
Indeed! I thought this was going to be one of those cases that take a lot to get a meaningful or useful answer.