Keyshot 10 / Rhino 7

Started by nehumanuscrede, April 08, 2021, 09:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nehumanuscrede

Figured I should ask here before I go any further with this puzzle. 

Is live-link between Rhino 7 and Keyshot 10 functional or no ?

The plugin seems to load fine, export to .bip is working as expected, but trying to use the live-link feature is a no-go.
Press the button and . . . . . . nothing happens.  Keyshot 10 doesn't launch. 

Using the current version of the plugin.
Uninstalled and reinstalled both Rhino 7 and Keyshot 10, no change in behavior. 

Thoughts ?

nehumanuscrede

I've uninstalled and reinstalled both Rhino 7, Keyshot 10 and the Rhino plugin a second time.

The same behavior remains.

Clicking the " Send to Keyshot 10 Via Live Linking " button does absolutely nothing.  Keyshot 10
doesn't launch at all.  If launched on its own, it fires right up. 

Just doesn't work when launched from Rhino.   

For the tech support folks, the following applies:

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations Version 1909 ( OS build: 18363.1440 )
Rhino 7 SR4 2021-3-19 (Rhino 7, 7.4.21078.01001)
Keyshot 10 Version 10.1.82   [ 4.1.36 ]
Keyshot plugin - keyshot10_rhino_1.2.rhi ( MD5 Hash: DEEEC23C8FF9796789CC88D892056CEA )

nehumanuscrede

I'm guessing the plugin itself needs some programmer love because it's not quite all there.  ( IMO )   

First, some background. 

1)  I do not, nor do I ever, install any program to the default drive / directory because it's usually on C: somewhere.
     My C drive is for Operating System only.  All programs go to the D: drive, all data files created by said programs
     end up on my E: drive.  Makes backups trivial. 

2)  I installed Keyshot 10 to the D: drive and it's Resources folder within the main folder.  So, D:\Keyshot 10 and         
     D:\Keyshot 10\Resources. 

After installing both Keyshot, the plugin and Rhino 7 at least twice each, with the same outcome, I went a bit deeper. 

I started watching what Rhino was doing when the " Send to Keyshot 10 via Live Linking " button was pressed.

Much to my irritation, it seems the plugin forgot to add a relevant registry key and got another one wrong.   

Specifically: 

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Luxion\KeyShotActivePath   ( This was flat out missing completely.  I manually added it to the registry to reflect where the programs executable resides:  D:\Keyshot 10\bin\keyshot.exe )

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Luxion\KeyShot 10\ResourceFolder ( This was incorrect.  The registry value was configured for C:\Users\Public\Documents\Keyshot 10, when it should have been D:\Keyshot 10\Resources )

After fixing both of those, lo-and-behold, guess what started working :|  Push the button and the live-link works as expected. 

In related news, the plugin is also sending out a query on this Registry Key ( HKLM\SOFTWARE\Luxion\KeyShot 11 ) and, not surprisingly the result is NAME NOT FOUND.   You all might want to comment that out for now :P