Replace function for components

Started by Daniel Kurth, April 22, 2021, 11:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Kurth

I have not been working with Keyshot for a long time, but I miss one function from my CAD system very much in keyshot.
And that is a replace function for components.

The procedure in keyshot is always that you load something new from your own Keyshot library or from other sources and then always try to hit the right spot with the gizmo. That's okay as long as it's only one component. And if it stands FREE somewhere in the room.
But it's different when several components have to be replaced at the same time, like ceiling lights in an interior scene, which should fit exactly into the given "ceiling holes". Built-in devices in furniture, etc., too.
So basically it concerns that everything is recessed somewhere and the new components have to be placed exactly in the same place.
"Replacing" would eliminate the manual positioning because the program places the new component exactly on the position of the old component.
And that, as I said, would be something I would like to see in keyshot.

PS:
Of course I know that normally I could draw in these parts in the CAD drawing if necessary, save them separately and set them to the same position with the import function "Keep relative position to original zero point".
But my CAD program is not great in terms of import and export and also has no live linking function for keyshot, I usually make use of third party sources, which I integrate when rendering with keyshot.. So not in advance.

INNEO_MWo

Hello Daniel.

Why not use the update feature when re-importing the CAD file?
Also you can import the new files and use copy/paste position. And delete or hide the old part. But sometimes the new part has another size. Then the position has to be relocated. In other words, replacing can only work well when the bounding box and the orientation of both part are equal.
What might work, if you place dummy geometry on that places, where you want to place the other parts. For example, place a dummy cube at the hole in the ceiling and import the lamp part in KeyShot. Then copy the position of the dummy cube and paste the position to the lamp. Hide the dummy geometry and tweak the lamp position if necessary. If you re-import the scene and use update geometry, you'll get the new positions with dummy geometry. Then you can use copy/paste again.
I recommend to work with model sets. That's is way more easier to handle a complex scene structure.

Hope these ideas help you to find your workflow

CheerEO
Marco

P.S. written in short form on a mobile device.

Daniel Kurth

Quote from: INNEO_MWo on April 22, 2021, 10:18:09 PM
Why not use the update feature when re-importing the CAD file?
Also you can import the new files and use copy/paste position. And delete or hide the old part. But sometimes the new part has another size. Then the position has to be relocated. In other words, replacing can only work well when the bounding box and the orientation of both part are equal.

That's what I meant actually, that my CAD program is not so good at it! With it, I can draw wonderful "simple things" and also import them error-free into keyshot.
But as soon as there are complex 3D models with Boolean functions, drillings, curves etc., then I can't import them error-free into keyshot. So I got used to search for models from Grabcad & Co. and save them as keyshot models in the model library. I think that's what you meant by the "model sets", right?

Quote from: INNEO_MWo on April 22, 2021, 10:18:09 PM
What might work, if you place dummy geometry on that places, where you want to place the other parts.
Do you mean this function? (Position kopieren / copy to position)

INNEO_MWo

If you have a pro license, you can use model sets. I would use these model sets to organize the scene and split the structure. One model set for the imported CAD geometry and other model sets for parts like lamps and deco stuff.

And yes copy position is "Position kopieren" in the german UI. (btw, I'm working as a consultant for a KeyShot platinum reseller called INNEO Solutions and am located in Hamburg. So you can give me a call, if you're a customer of us)

CheerEO
Marco

Daniel Kurth

Hello again,
yes I'm using the Pro Version and owned keyshot from "you" (=INNEO)  ;)
Mostly I'm in contact with Mrs Clement.

Sure, we can talk on the phone. But let me show you another example.
Screenshot 1:
Here I would like to exchange a so-called warming drawer.
In the first screenshot, the two originally drawn components are marked. As you can see in the screenshot, I press "Copy position".
Screenshot 2:
Then I drag and drop another warming drawer from my model library and press "Paste position".
Screenshot 3:
The new warming drawer does not move to the right position, but disappears completely into orbit.

Doesn't work so well, at least in this example.