How to render sub-d lines and mesh lines in Keyshot?

Started by archz2, May 27, 2021, 01:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archz2

I made this geometry, applied the material and set the view to rendered in Rhino.

How can I render the mesh lines and sub-d lines in Keyshot?

DerekCicero

This should work:

- Completely unsmooth normals (Edit Geometry > Edit Normals > Minimum Edge Angle = 0° > Calculate Vertex Normals).

- Assign Toon material.

- Set very low Contour Angle for the Toon material.

archz2

I am getting this result. The mesh triangulation is appearing in the render. I want quad lines to be there and the ability to space them apart as seen in the original post. Moreover, toon material is really flat. How can preserve the gloss texture too?

DriesV

The model in the scene you posted is not the same one as from the image in your first post, is it?

Dries

DriesV

But to answer your question directly, no, there is no robust way to render wireframes of quad meshes. KeyShot currently does not support subdivision surfaces, so the outlines of subdivision patches cannot be visualized either.

Dries

archz2

Quote from: DriesV on June 14, 2021, 07:01:37 AM
The model in the scene you posted is not the same one as from the image in your first post, is it?

Dries

Yes. It's a different one as I didn't save the model of whose renders I shared in first post.

Quote from: DriesV on June 14, 2021, 07:17:54 AM
But to answer your question directly, no, there is no robust way to render wireframes of quad meshes. KeyShot currently does not support subdivision surfaces, so the outlines of subdivision patches cannot be visualized either.

Dries

Okay. And Keyshot is always going to automatically convert an imported subd to a mesh. Right?

TGS808

Quote from: archz2 on June 16, 2021, 11:41:03 PM
Okay. And Keyshot is always going to automatically convert an imported subd to a mesh. Right?

Yes. It converts everything imported into a mesh.

mafrieger

TGS808

Quote from: mafrieger on June 17, 2021, 10:58:02 PM
hmm what about using nurbs rendering in KSpro?

There is no nurbs rendering in KSpro. KS converts everything imported into a mesh. Really, after Dries said this wasn't possible, the matter was settled. If it was possible, he of of all people would know.

mafrieger

Quote from: TGS808 on June 18, 2021, 05:23:37 AM
Quote from: mafrieger on June 17, 2021, 10:58:02 PM
hmm what about using nurbs rendering in KSpro?

There is no nurbs rendering in KSpro. KS converts everything imported into a mesh. ...

=> see Pro Features on https://www.keyshot.com/features/
QuoteNURBS rendering

For the ultimate quality and zero tessellation, KeyShot supports the import and render of NURBS data.

TGS808

Yes, I'm aware of that feature. I use KSPro. Even if you check the "import NURBS data" box KS still turns everything into a mesh. That's how it works. It won't achieve what archz2 is looking to do.