Losing materials, textures and all setting when updating model

Started by nedcollins, May 09, 2021, 08:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nedcollins

Relatively novice at keyshot but feel like the model I'm dealing with is more than novice level.
As mentioned above, when using keyshot you realise you want to change parts of the model in rhino, save it and then update the keyshot model.
However when I do this I lose all the setting previously established in the keyshot model and have to restart everything. Which obviously defies the point etc. etc.
Can anybody suggest what part of the workflow I am missing?
Thanks

Anindo Ghosh

When importing the updated model(s), do you face this issue if you opt for "Update Geometry" in the Scene section of the Import dialog?

nedcollins

In rhino I use the command 'keyshotupdate' and keyshot disregards the current work and loads a new copy of the file.

DerekCicero

It sounds like you are using the Rhino plug-in. Which version of KeyShot are you running?

nedcollins

Hi Derek,
Yes I'm using the plugin which I hope is correct?
Keyshot9 on rhino7.

nedcollins

nedcollins

I know this conversation is pretty one way but I'm going to give it another shot by expanding on my situation.

I am using rhino on a university computer because it is more powerful to make the model and then using keyshot on my mac to render the model.

The model has been built to a stage where I can get most of what I need out of it and i plan on fixing many of the incorrect elements in photoshop if I can't get this problem solved. However there are quite a few crucial things I'd like to re-model and then re-render in keyshot. But when I use the command keyshot9update from rhino, all the previous work to the materials, environment, lighting, everything disappears and loads afresh.

I'm sure this is not the way it is meant to be seeing as every designer is always updating their images according to the design so hopefully somebody knows why this is happening?

Thanks

These are some images from the project some of which made straight out of rhino, some from keyshot.

As you can see- I haven't got the hang of keyshot yet...

Francisco

Hello NedCollins,

When using the command keyshot9update that would work if you are using KeyShot and Rhino on the same computer as it would then send the update to KeyShot directly from Rhino via Live-Linking and the model should still keep all its materials and lighting in the scene. The only changes that should happen are the changes you made in Rhino and updated to KeyShot. Since it looks like you are making your model in Rhino on one computer and then opening up the file on another computer I would recommend that you use the export command and not the update command. Then try and import that bip file on the other computer that was exported from Rhino and let us know if any of the textures or materials were lost?

Also, just to make sure when you are working on the model in KeyShot you didn't by change make any changes to the scene tree hierarchy as this would cause it to lose information and if you tried to update the model textures and materials could become lost.

Would you be able to share the model with us so that we can do some testing on our end and see if we are able to get the same results as you?

Please provide us with a sample file. If it is an assembly please include all parts in a zipped folder. You may send it securely via our WeTransfer site.

WeTransfer link here.