Issues with Custom Pivot

Started by Bacchinif6, June 09, 2021, 08:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacchinif6

Hi everyone, I'm Francesco and I'm opening my first thread in the forum after experiencing some issues trying to rotate a group around a custom pivot.

I don't why when using the manual controls everything works fine, but as soon as I try to be more precise by typing the exact rotational values the group seems to be losing the custom pivot I created.

Here's a video of what's happening:

https://streamable.com/iaou79

INNEO_MWo

Did you recognised the shift in Y an Z direction, when rotating along the custom pivot?
If you type in your values in rotation and in the translation, it should 'stay in place'.

In KeyShot 10 you can type the relative angle value in the move tool widget.

Bacchinif6

Quote from: INNEO_MWo on June 09, 2021, 09:54:02 PM
Did you recognised the shift in Y an Z direction, when rotating along the custom pivot?
If you type in your values in rotation and in the translation, it should 'stay in place'.

In KeyShot 10 you can type the relative angle value in the move tool widget.

I don't get what does the Shift + Left Mouse Button have to do with this.
I have no issues when trying to rotate the objects by dragging it manually. The problem occurs only when typing an exact value, even if I've correctly selected my pivot.

TGS808

Quote from: Bacchinif6 on June 11, 2021, 12:36:59 AM
I don't get what does the Shift + Left Mouse Button have to do with this.
I have no issues when trying to rotate the objects by dragging it manually. The problem occurs only when typing an exact value, even if I've correctly selected my pivot.

I don't see where Marco said anything about Shift+Left Mouse button. However, I agree with you. This has been happening since at least KS6. Pick custom pivot point, use the rotate tool to manually move it and all good. But if you type in a number to round it off to something precise, the object rotates off of the custom pivot point. However, it has been fixed in KS10 as far as I can see. When you start to manually rotate, a new box to type in appears in the move tool pop up. Entering numbers there keeps the custom pivot point.

INNEO_MWo

Thanks THS808.
I hadn't the time to explain a transformation matrix.

So long story short, the improvements in KeyShot 10 would solve this easily.

mattjgerard

This has been bothering me too, I've seen that new single transformation box, and wondered why. I'll be trying that out! Not sure why they can't just make the standard transform entry boxes work with the custom pivot function.