Keyshot 10 Creo Exporter

Started by phatty70, June 25, 2021, 05:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phatty70

Recently upgraded from Keyshot 8 to 10 - decided to grab the latest plugin as well.  Now I'm running into an issue where SOME assemblies will not export to BIP.  This is frustrating as there is no indication that an error was encountered.

If i copy/paste the items in the tree to a new assembly BIP exports just fine.  I've compared the old/new assembly files and can't see anything that would cause the issue.  Is there something particular that I should be evaluating to identify root cause?

INNEO_MWo

I don't understand the issue. The current plug-in exports assembly with simplified reps, family tables, NURBS data (solids and surfaces) and meshes as intended. All the parts from a Creo session would be exported as long as the components are in minimum geometry rep. Simplified reps like automatic, graphic, simplified graphics (viewables) can cause missing geometry, 'cause they aren't in session.

Which version of the plug-in (I guess the current one) and what version of Creo do you use?

CheerEO
Marco (consultant for KeyShot and Creo)

P.S. written in short form on a mobile device

phatty70

Thanks for taking time to reply Marco - really appreciate it.

Little more digging this morning.  Some of our assemblies are simply not exporting to BIP.  I'm able to replicate this behavior by opening the offending assembly and BIP file is empty (around 5kb).  If i create a new assembly and copy/paste the model tree it seems to export fine.  I installed an older version of the plug in today and it is showing the same behavior so i suspect the problem is on my side.  Do you know of anything i can investigate further?

INNEO_MWo

before checking some registry paths, I would try to re-install KeyShot, too.

Attached you'll find two different exports, created with creo parametric 7.0 and the latest KeyShot plugin.

The assembly is one of PTC's demo models.
It was opened in automatic representation (no parts in session) and exported as "slider_crank_automatic_rep_keyshot_plugin_export.bip". Then I changed it to master representation (all parts in session) and exported it as "slider_crank_master_rep_keyshot_plugin_export.bip".

Only the master rep export shows the parts in KeyShot, while the other export only show an empty structure in KeyShot, but no parts.

Hope that helps

CheerEO
Marco

phatty70

I reinstalled keyshot and spent more time today testing this without success.  There are a handful of assemblies in our catalog that simply are not being exported (this is troublesome when exporting a very high level assembly).  We've been using keyshot since 2016 and haven't experienced an issue like this before. 

I attached a high level summary attempting to better explain the issue....just to be sure i am explaining myself properly!

I will confer with a colleague and see if this issue can be replicated on another machine but will be some day(s) before i get an answer.

INNEO_MWo

Is the part of this assembly in session before you export via plug-in?

phatty70

Quote from: INNEO_MWo on June 28, 2021, 10:21:02 PM
Is the part of this assembly in session before you export via plug-in?

Yes - sure do.  That is what i'm struggling with.  If i create a NEW assembly and include the part it exports fine.  It's almost as if something in that assembly is causing the BIP to export empty.  Working with a colleague to see if we can replicate this issue on a second machine.

phatty70

Received confirmation - same issue on two machines.  There has to be something to do with the upper level assembly.  Any chance you would be able to take a look if i provided files?

INNEO_MWo

Sorry if this question seems dumb. If you load the assembly and use the regular open file feature and navigate to "session" (on the left panel), do you see the parts or only some assemblies?
If the parts aren't included, open the view manager, go to the simp rep and activate master.

If you are a customer from INNEO Solutions, you can contact us as a regular support case. My contact info can be found in my forum profile.
Currently I personally have not so much time for support cases. You can write me a mail (mwodarz@inneo.com), but I can't promise to help, soon.

Sorry for the short answer

phatty70

Yes, all parts are in session.  Only two parts exist in this test file - the assembly and part.  Exporting BIP of assembly results in empty BIP, opening the part results in successful BIP.

I understand.  Unfortunately we are not a customer so i will not send.  Thanks anyhow for your helpful interaction here on the forum.  Perhaps another member will chime in.

phatty70

My colleague found this - if exporting BIP from the CREO "render studio" it exports as intended sends extra data from the render studio (as i understand it).  Anyone have ideas why this option would work but an export from the keyshot menu fails?

INNEO_MWo

Do you have a commercial or student license?

INNEO_MWo

You can also use other formats like step, or better x_t that includes a normal correction in most cases and also PVZ works very well.

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: phatty70 on June 30, 2021, 08:20:56 AM
I understand.  Unfortunately we are not a customer so i will not send.  Thanks anyhow for your helpful interaction here on the forum.  Perhaps another member will chime in.

You can send me the Creo files and if I find some time, I will take a look into this issue as long the files are saved with a commercial edition.

And as a KeyShot user, you can open a ticket to the support team of Luxion.

phatty70

Quote from: INNEO_MWo on June 30, 2021, 10:24:23 AM
Do you have a commercial or student license?

Commercial License.

I haven't tried using a PVZ file - will give that a try!