GPU or CPU rendering

Started by FHLHK, June 14, 2021, 09:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FHLHK

Hi,
I have a question regarding CPU and GPU rendering as I am building new computer for work.
More cores and threads is an advantage for CPU rendering and AMD is good at that, a good Nvidia quadro 4000 or 5000 is good for GPU rendering we all know.
My question is now the AMD processors can smart access the fast ram on the Radeon graphic cards and AMD graphic cards is easier to get your hands right now.
Would I have advantages to build the computer based on high count cores and threads and then use for example a Radeon RX 6900 XT with 16GB smart accessible ram?

Best regards

DriesV

Hi,

An AMD graphics card will be of no use for GPU rendering in KeyShot.
A good combo has been Threadripper for CPU and a NVIDIA RTX card for GPU.

Dries

FHLHK

Yes I know the AMD GPU has no use or effect in Keyshot rendering, but the AMD CPU can access the fast ram on the AMD graphic card ( Smart Access Memory SAM).
So I am not intending to use the GPU, only use the fast ram on the AMD graphic card via the AMD CPU, and wanted to know if anyone know the effect in doing it this way.

Zeltronic

The performance gains being essentially related to the computing capacity of the gpu the use of a faster memory (that of the gpu in this case) will not allow to have really significant gains, even if this can improve the performance a little bit.  ;)

DriesV

The only purpose of AMD's Smart Access Memory (or more generally resizable BAR) is for the CPU to directly access the full frame buffer of the GPU. It only makes sense in scenarios where the GPU needs to be fed a lot of data, like in high-end games. In cases where the GPU would not do any work (like using an AMD card for KeyShot) there is no benefit at all. Smart Access Memory does not allow the CPU to harness the GPU's memory or anything like that. It is just a feature to more efficiently feed the GPU memory with texture, models and shaders.

Dries

Zeltronic

I didn't look to AMD GPU technical specification but Dries did, so you have a great answer right now, :)

FHLHK

Thanks for all your answers, can understand I just need to dig deeper in the pocket and get a quadro rtx 4000 or 5000 :-)

FHLHK

Went for a Ryzen 5950X, Quadro P2200, M.2 SSD and 32 GB Ram in order to keep price in a OK level and if not happy with performance then it is easy to change graphic card and use as gaming computer.

Lucas L Guiot

Hello,
In general tests, the use of the 5950x brings a result very similar to the rtx 2070 S. However, the CPU is cheaper.

texax

This is a weird transitional time between CPU/GPU renderings and you might want to stick to one. I've buit a TR with RTX Titan workstation and I found myself using GPU like 90% of the time so I guess I wasted money on a CPU. I added additional 3080 to supplement the Titan in other rendering workflows and as well as post production, conforming, etc.

Zeltronic

you got the wrong forum guy, this is a rendering forum dedicated to keyshot, as far as I'm concerned I have no affinity with mining and also no sympathy for the people who do it, moreover, they participate in driving up the price of graphics cards in a completely scandalous way ...