Grab group instead of single part

Started by mattjgerard, August 03, 2021, 01:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

I think this was asked before, but can't find it- is there a way to click in the live view window and grab the whole top level group of objects, and not drill down into the group and select the single part? I love PS that has the option to select Group or Layer, that would be totally awesome to be able to do that in KS. Making it a modifier key or middle click option would be even better, just a left click would select the part, and a left click plus ALT or something would select the top level group. Working with tabletop arrangements of products would be a lifesaver and a timesaver ( and a frustration saver) for me!

Erik Williams

Hello,
If I understand your question correctly, in KeyShot 10 you should be able to select whole groups by right-clicking on the group and select 'copy'.
You can then paste this in the desired location. Please be aware that this will break the scene heirarchy, so please do this before adding any textures or animations.

While you cannot drag and drop groups into subgroups, you should be able to move groups to groups and subgroups to groups and subgroups as well.

Let me know if this works for you, or if I misunderstood your question.

Best Regards,

Erik Williams
Luxion Customer Support

mattjgerard

The copy and paste thing is a little different request, and while that itself would be great, this one is more like the photoshop functionaility where at the top of the photoshop interface you can select via dropdown menu if when you click on something in the canvas if it will select that individual layer or the whole group that that layer resides in. (See screen shot 1)

This would be super helpful when dealing with images like the second, where the main work is pulling in already preppe products and positioning them properly. Being able to click on a product and have KS grab that whole group of objects that are in a folder rather than drilling down and just selecting the individual part (lens, or button or label that was clicked on) to reposition would be super helpful.

I hope I'm describing this correctly. Basically, all my products are in thier own groups, and when I click on one in the viewer I'd like it to select the whole group, not just the individual part that I actually clicked on. Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

INNEO_MWo

What I do with large and complex scene trees is to use a workaround. But to do so, some hotkey preferences need to be done. I've deleted the hotkey for up, down. left and right ('cause change the environment brightness, I use the tab in the project panel).
So, now, when a part is selected, the scene tree marks the part. Then I selected the already selected item in the scene tree to activate the project dialog instead of the render port. Now simple navigation like in Windows can be done. Left closes a group or jump to its parent. Up and down just travels up and down the list. And right opens a group.
So selecting a part or mesh and use the left key just closes the groups and enables fast navigation. If the desired group is selected, you can use hotkeys to change visibility or activate the move tool or some other things.

It's a workaround but prevents from scrolling.

CheerEO
Marco