Import from Solid Edge with inch units

Started by WoodCarver, August 18, 2021, 08:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodCarver

When i import a model it comes in I believe as metric. I then fumble around with the foot/ inch settings to get me close. Not sure if there is a better way to do that. alot of the materials like the scratched steel will show on my part with a scratch that appears to be 2-3 feet long. maybe this is not an issue for rendering but as a mechanical design i am having a hard time getting over this unitless environment or what ever you might call it. another example would be a wooden part. tree grains are not 6inches apart on a 2foot part. is it the scaling of the imported part doing this or is it the materials has no relations to the scale? thanks for your help

HaroldL

You can check and set your units from the menus, go to Edit>Set Scene Units and see what they are or select what you want/need.
Also check the size and units of your model in the properties section of the scene tab. Select the model in the scene tree and then check the properties.

And you can adjust the parameters of the scratches to bring them to a size you want.

WoodCarver

I knew you could change the units but i did not know where to find the what the model currently is set to. Great thanks for the info. Is there a way to set a default scale for imports?

INNEO_MWo

Yes, you can create/use a custom template with unit system set. Save this template (scene with no geometry) in your scenes folder (resources path) and set this as custom scene template in the preferences.

KristofDeHulsters

Quote from: INNEO_MWo on August 19, 2021, 05:38:50 AM
Yes, you can create/use a custom template with unit system set. Save this template (scene with no geometry) in your scenes folder (resources path) and set this as custom scene template in the preferences.

I never though about doing it that way, I must have changed the units on my model probably near 1000 times. Thanks for the tip!

INNEO_MWo

WoodCarver