UV unfolding for "grown" 3D textures

Started by Lagom, September 01, 2021, 11:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lagom

Probably a bit basic for the professionals, but how do I ensure that "grown" 3D textures like the ones shown (recycled plastic, cork, etc.) cover cubes or cylinders seamlessly? As you can see in the images below, on a cube one can get 5 correct looking edges, but not on the remaining ones, and none on a cylinder. How would one do this the proper way?

Thanks!

KristofDeHulsters

Clone tool in Photoshop, it is not easy to pull this off well.

Lagom

Thanks!

So what you mean is to try manually painting along the seams with a ? so the texture matches along those, do I understand you correctly? That's a lot of work... and with cylinders... phew!

In that case Adobe Substance 3D is probably the easier way. I was hoping to get around introducing another software into the workflow, but so be it ; )

KristofDeHulsters

Yeah, I don't think there is any easier way of doing this. Of course you could choose to hide the edges itself using a map. but that is not what you're after. The whole tiling thing in Keyshot is not always ideal. I know that blender has features that take the map you apply and can tile it at random angles while blending it together. It's great for grass and dirt but not for your application. I didn't recommend substance since not all Keyshot users make use of it, while most of Keyshooters do use PS for post processing.

Lagom

Thanks, yeah, have to do too many of these products to be able to spend much time photoshopping each. Painting in 3D with Adobe Substance 3D seems to do just the trick!

KristofDeHulsters