label splitting problem

Started by didotadv, September 03, 2021, 09:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

didotadv

hello I started some time ago to use keyshot for the moment I'm at version 9, my problem is when I apply a label on frosted glass I am doubled and I can not insert it correctly I searched around but I have not found anything can you help me

thank you very much

tomlai

adjust DEPTH to be non-zero, but this quickfix only works on non-curved surfaces.

.... else you need to separate the front surface to become an independent geometry with the label and the material behind does not contain the label.

TGS808

Quote from: tomlai on September 04, 2021, 12:22:53 AM
adjust DEPTH to be non-zero, but this quickfix only works on non-curved surfaces.

.... else you need to separate the front surface to become an independent geometry with the label and the material behind does not contain the label.

That's not accurate. Splitting the surface is not necessary. See the link I posted above. This question has already been answered.

didotadv

grazie mille a tutti
thank you all very much

tomlai

your experimental feature does not work in GPU mode. Defeats the purpose... splitting the geometry is still my option here

TGS808

Quote from: tomlai on September 08, 2021, 09:03:00 PM
your experimental feature does not work in GPU mode. Defeats the purpose... splitting the geometry is still my option here

A. It's not "my" experimental feature. I pointed to someone else's answer.
B. Nowhere did the OP mention anything about using GPU mode and neither did you in your original response. So, it's still inaccurate concerning the topic here.

tomlai

Sorry for my error in semantics. My comment should have read:

"Your definitive solution to the OP's problem points to a third-party link which proposes to use Keyshot's Ray Mask Experimental Feature in place of Geometry Splitting, works only in CPU Mode and is not implemented to work in GPU Mode. Not splitting the surface and using the Ray Mask Experimental Feature would take rendering times back to the Dark Ages of CPU Rendering.

In my opinion, this shortcoming makes it a less attractive and less permanent solution to back surface label removal, than the tried-and-tested workaround of geometry splitting which is CPU/GPU agnostic."

mattjgerard

Lol @ "Dark ages of CPU rendering."

Thats quite a remark when most production houses still use CPU rendering, as its more stable (as you are seeing here) and can handle larger data sets and textures. I've been on GPU rendering and CPU rendering, and while GPU is getting better, it is still far less reliable and useful for myself. When it works, its fantastic, but I've spent more time chasing driver/rendering software versions than it would have taken to render on a CPU.

I see the benefits of GPU, I just don't think its there yet. And now with the global shortage of decent GPU's, its almost a moot point because good luck getting one that is worth using.

I do appreciate your re-written reply though, very well done :)