White sheet metal and Aluminum on a white background not coming out right

Started by WoodCarver, September 08, 2021, 04:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodCarver

Hi all,
I am not sure what is wrong with my image. the white sheet metal panel 's color does not look right. Its not white enough or it's to dark. I don't know if this is a lighting issue or color. the aluminum block's color does not look right either. I have been trying to adjust them but I am at a loss and have no idea where to look.
I have attacked a few images one it the manufactured product, two are my settings and one is the Keyshot image.

theAVator

I'm going to guess a lot of it is going to have to do with the lighting setup and scene composition. The lighting setup looks pretty plain/basic/flat which severally limits reflections, shine, shadows, etc. Just an easy starting step is to change up your environment to one of the other studio enviros or an interior enviro, or basically anything else. Could also experiment with adding other lights into (pin lights or area lights and such). Adding some of that variance will help add some depth and accentuate the materials.

Not sure on the intent, but the case on the reference image looks more like a painted or enameled finish rather than a straight up raw sheet metal - maybe I'm getting the wrong reference, but it might be a material thing - as the different finishes will also then reflect/shine differently in a new lighting setup. 

Maybe some others will have more in-depth feedback or something more material set up related, but this might help get a quick improvement.
Metals are hard to work with if they're not in and around other things to add depth and shadows and highlights.

KristofDeHulsters

as AVator said, it's your HDRI which has no features in it. Metal takes almost all it's color from the environment around it. Adjusting the HDRI to an industrial scene will give you much more realistic results.