Draped Cloth Backdrops! #Clay2Keyshot

Started by shanespence, September 14, 2021, 06:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shanespence

Hi Guys, it's been a while...

I was working on a tutorial to show a technique I love using in renders, draped cloth backdrops. I find it's a great way to add some visual interest to your enviroments around your products and can help to make them look more "Lived in". Here's a selection of renders all done in KeyShot to display the different ways you can use them with the same product (fictional ofcourse).

Let me know what you think and which is your favourite!

mattjgerard

RRIS

Nicely done, you could finish the edges of the cloth with some fold/stitch when they're visible in the render. I like the linen ones the best, subtle texture, not too distracting. :)

HermanCarlsson

shanespence

Thanks guys!

@RRIS for sure you could go crazy in depth with the texturing details. This was more of a quick exercise to show the different compositions you can create with cloth backdrops  :)

Anindo Ghosh

All the backdrop cloth textures look beautiful, so answering the "which is your favorite" question is quite challenging!
I'm torn between the corduroy cloth "Pippet Mustard Chord.jpg" and the "Pippet Towel square.jpg".

By the way, how did you create the cloth texture of "Pippet Towel rock.jpg"? Would you be kind enough to share the material graph nodes, perhaps?

shanespence

Quote from: Anindo Ghosh on September 16, 2021, 07:51:31 AM
All the backdrop cloth textures look beautiful, so answering the "which is your favorite" question is quite challenging!
I'm torn between the corduroy cloth "Pippet Mustard Chord.jpg" and the "Pippet Towel square.jpg".

By the way, how did you create the cloth texture of "Pippet Towel rock.jpg"? Would you be kind enough to share the material graph nodes, perhaps?

Thanks Anindo! I think Pippet Towel square is one of my favourites too.

Here's the material graph for the towel. It uses a seamless pattern I found online to control the colour of the materials as well as the desnity of the fuzz, with a leather texture just to add some more variance to the bump.