How to export texture from Keyshot to Blender?

Started by vedathakanbeyaz, September 15, 2021, 01:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vedathakanbeyaz

Hello guys i am wondering if i can take materials and textures to blender from Keyshot? any plugins or tips wanted. Thanks for your help in advance :)

INNEO_MWo

May it help to bake the models as glb (no draco) and import to blender?

TGS808

It doesn't work that way. KeyShot's materials are proprietary. You can't export them and use them elsewhere. They only work in KeyShot.

RRIS

If you want to share textures / shaders between software, your best bet is to use a separate software like Substance, Quixel Mixer or perhaps Marmoset Toolbag to create your materials. Then you can use the same material set between different programs (provided they either have plugins for the shaders, or are compatible with PBR workflow (which most software is these days)).

vedathakanbeyaz

Thanks but i am filmmaker i need to take textures to blender make a video about it. I dont know how to make materials and texture in other programs. I can use unreal - blender and keyshot animation part :( that is sad for keyshot though. Hope they find a way to export textures soon

RRIS

Quote from: vedathakanbeyaz on September 16, 2021, 12:58:07 AM
Thanks but i am filmmaker i need to take textures to blender make a video about it. I dont know how to make materials and texture in other programs. I can use unreal - blender and keyshot animation part :( that is sad for keyshot though. Hope they find a way to export textures soon

They're thinking about texture painting in Keyshot. This could possibly allow you to bake procedural textures from Keyshot into a texture map. But if I were you I would try to learn how to use Quixel Mixer to create PBR materials, since that integrates well with Unreal and allows you to export materials as PBR texture sets for use in Blender or Keyshot (others more familiar with Mixer, please correct me if I'm wrong). Then you have solved your problem and have consistent materials between all your software.

TGS808

Quote from: vedathakanbeyaz on September 16, 2021, 12:58:07 AM
Hope they find a way to export textures soon

I wouldn't count on that ever happening. It's not "sad" for KeyShot as it's intentional. It benefits Luxion/KeyShot in no way to allow their material shaders to be exported and used "as is" in other rendering engines. It doesn't really benefit users of KeyShot either. If your using KeyShot as your rendering solution (which everyone here is) there's no real reason to export the materials for use elsewhere. There may be isolated cases but I'd imagine they are pretty rare.

mattjgerard

yeah, not sure why you would be going to somewhere else with the KS textures, as KS would usually be the final stop for your image. Textures have always been the challenge with 3d file translation things. there is so much internal proprietary stuff that happens in the background.

mattjgerard

INNEO_MWo is right though, one of the GLB/GLTF exports creates a texture folder, but I'm not sure what they would look like or if they would be helpful, but certainly worth a try

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: mattjgerard on September 16, 2021, 07:40:03 AM
INNEO_MWo is right though, one of the GLB/GLTF exports creates a texture folder, but I'm not sure what they would look like or if they would be helpful, but certainly worth a try

GLTF extracts the baked textures in a folder
GLB contains the textures

Blender should read/import both file types and enables to tweak the textures that are mapped to the principle material type (BDSF / Disney material). So even KeyShot's procedural textures, labels and material values would be translated as Albedo (Diffuse), Specular, Normal and Roughness driven by UV unwrapped raster graphics.

I wish to have the time to learn Blender. But thanks to Matt for the "post-support"!

CheerEO
Marco