Studios needs a way to group or manage.

Started by Seth Richardson, September 15, 2021, 07:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth Richardson

As the title suggests.

Say you have a product with 5 views and you have 5 different colors of that product.

You now have a list of 25 items with no real organization to speak of.  It would be great if there was some extra thought here for next release to tidy up studio management.

mattjgerard

so, There is a way to do this, but there are some caveats.

You can make 5 studios, each with a different camera.

Then for the colors, take all the materials and create a single Multimaterial with all 5 materials. Then in the studios, you can activate the multimaterials, and it will automatically kick out an image for each of the multimaterial materials. That will at least cut down on the number of studios. Its a little confusing at first, but once it makes sense, its works pretty well.

RRIS

What I sometimes do if I'm working with a large amount of studios is make empty studios with names like --------------, purely as dividers to separate groups of studios that use the same cameras for example.
I wish it was a little bit easier to work with multi-materials in studios. It's implementation isn't great, having to go through dropdown lists to specify them. It's great that it's even possible in the first place, but studios are such a great and powerful feature that I think they could take up a bit more UI space.

mattjgerard

Quote from: RRIS on September 16, 2021, 12:01:28 AM
What I sometimes do if I'm working with a large amount of studios is make empty studios with names like --------------, purely as dividers to separate groups of studios that use the same cameras for example.
I wish it was a little bit easier to work with multi-materials in studios. It's implementation isn't great, having to go through dropdown lists to specify them. It's great that it's even possible in the first place, but studios are such a great and powerful feature that I think they could take up a bit more UI space.

agreed. Studios is has potential to be pretty powerful, so I really hope it gets some love and expanded abilities.

RRIS

Quote from: mattjgerard on September 16, 2021, 07:41:07 AM
Quote from: RRIS on September 16, 2021, 12:01:28 AM

Hmm, I could imagine that you could also add things like object location / rotation.. so you wouldn't have to make a separate model set for a car for example, when you need to open/close doors or windows, etc.
agreed. Studios is has potential to be pretty powerful, so I really hope it gets some love and expanded abilities.