Keyshot 11 release date?

Started by creativemind, September 25, 2021, 07:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

creativemind

Just wanted to check this becouse I guess becouse we have not seen a open Beta of the KS11, we will not see KS11 this year at least?

RRIS

I'd rather they work a bit more on Keyshot 10 to iron out bugs, work on interface improvements, etc. This software is a workhorse for many and it could really benefit from some 10.5-ish release that overhauls an increasingly cluttered interface, and makes it a rock solid platform that deals with things like low-ram a lot better.

A few examples: On my work pc it's a toss up whether I can run Keyshot and Solidworks at the same time, even if there's no project open in either. No idea what causes it, but the problems start the moment I open Keyshot. Sometimes I forget and have to quickly save all my work in Solidworks and close it, before the whole system grinds to a halt and only a hard reset will do.
I have issues with studios not remembering things that I specified, causing me to have to redo a bunch of work right before the deadlines. Last project I did I had to make over 50 renders with model sets, environments, cameras and image presets all specified. I throw them all in the cue, start rendering and in the morning I find out that 2/3rd of all renders have the wrong environment rendered. I cycled through my studios that morning with a coworker and we both witnessed Keyshot randomly un-checking environments and picking the ones specified by the previous studio. No idea why, but I feel like I simply can't walk away from it at the moment. Which basically rules out rendering things overnight.

We're now stuck in a cycle of yearly buggy releases, followed a few months later by stability updates (at which point I can finally recommend my coworkers to make the switch), followed by a new buggy release 6 months later. I'll have to start looking elsewhere if things continue like this.

Zeltronic

It is true that there are things quite annoying sometimes in keyshot, for my concern on scenes comprising a large number of objects (more than 1000) keyshot is sometimes exceeded even if the system memory is far from being full ( 128gb on my machine), I also note that more than the display it is the management of groups of objects which seems to be laborious and painfully slow. It is often necessary in these large scenes to tinker if I want  opacity works normally, on some big scenes with a large number of plants coming from an FBX import the opacity (alpha channel) although connected to the node is not operational for it to work I have to create a new one material in the graph and connected it on a new label then disconnecting main material and reconnect label as  main material, then the opacity works & this often happens when there are a lot of objects with opacity in a scene. In what concerns me and even if I like keyshot a lot and its extraordinary rendering engine I believe that on large scenes Keyshot still remains below some  other products, it's a shame because its capabilities deserve to be extended beyond the simple product design rendering...

richardfunnell

Quote from: RRIS on September 28, 2021, 12:58:54 AM
We're now stuck in a cycle of yearly buggy releases, followed a few months later by stability updates (at which point I can finally recommend my coworkers to make the switch), followed by a new buggy release 6 months later. I'll have to start looking elsewhere if things continue like this.

I've been a bit frustrated by the release/update experience as well. I've mentioned it to some folks at Luxion already, but it does feel like KeyShot is becoming the least dependable part of my workflow. I get a regular (or monthly) cadence of .x updates from all other software I use, and having an update list only bug fixes (instead of adding on new features) is 1000% acceptable to me. Having to wait for a new major release for a bug fix, as an end user, is becoming really difficult to understand :/

Would love to hear from the Luxion team about this, since it seems I'm not the only person who feels this way.

Eugen Fetsch

Agree on this. It is like selling a "new" but only face-lifted car instead of fixing the manufacturing fault in the model sold one year before. :/

DerekCicero

Information regarding KeyShot 11 and Beta will forthcoming later this month.

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: Radace on October 08, 2021, 05:43:24 AM
They should switch KeyShot to subscription model, current model is horrible, I got KS9 so, no more support after half of year.... cant even upgrade nVidia drivers, becouse I get empty/black renders on ks9....
It work os keyshot 10, but we need to spend lot of money to upgrade all licences of KS9 lol. And guess what, if you save something in KS10, cant open in KS9 lol, so we need to upgrade every machine on ks9 to 10, soon they will release ks11 :D and ks10 will stuck with bugs and drivers support like ks9...

I think this bussines model for keyshot is tottaly waste of money for users.

What is the benefit of a newer graphic driver version, that have impact to change a running system? I'm just curious.

Radace

Quote from: INNEO_MWo on October 09, 2021, 11:27:23 PM
Quote from: Radace on October 08, 2021, 05:43:24 AM
They should switch KeyShot to subscription model, current model is horrible, I got KS9 so, no more support after half of year.... cant even upgrade nVidia drivers, becouse I get empty/black renders on ks9....
It work os keyshot 10, but we need to spend lot of money to upgrade all licences of KS9 lol. And guess what, if you save something in KS10, cant open in KS9 lol, so we need to upgrade every machine on ks9 to 10, soon they will release ks11 :D and ks10 will stuck with bugs and drivers support like ks9...

I think this bussines model for keyshot is tottaly waste of money for users.

What is the benefit of a newer graphic driver version, that have impact to change a running system? I'm just curious.

you want to tell me, that is better to stuck on 1year old driver becouse they shutdown any support for KS9? LOL
what when my other software will need newer driver? and I need use KS too?

is joke. thats why we switch to corona render away from KS...

mafrieger

Quote from: INNEO_MWo on October 09, 2021, 11:27:23 PM

=> most people does not only run KS on their machines.
And other software may require newer driver (e.g. because of bugfixes, speed optimizations etc..)

Eugen Fetsch

It wasn't serious. Marco was trolling you :D
Same reason I still use Win 3.14 -> don't touch a runnung system. ;)

INNEO_MWo

I was curious and have the same problems on my system. But if once I found a driver, I let the system as it is. KeyShot 9 won't be updated cause of newer driver. So you can move to newer versions if available like current 10.2 or you have to try many driver versions.

Hope you find your solution.

CheerEO
Marco

PS. I never want to troll users on purpose

Tony

Whenever the KeyShot 11 release is, it would be quite disappointing if it doesn't support Apple silicon natively along with GPU rendering on the Mac (by finally adopting the Metal API).

The performance of Blender, Cinema 4D/Redshift and Octane X on the M1 Max chip is simply unbeatable.

Erik Williams

Hello Tony,

Unfortunately the KeyShot 11 release will not support GPU rendering on Mac Operating Systems.
Apple GPUs do not possess RayTracing cores, a necessary feature in KeyShot's rendering.

While I know this is not the answer you were looking for, I want to assure you that things are in happening behind the scenes to better support KeyShot on Mac OS.

Best Regards,

Erik Williams
Luxion Customer Support

Tony

While the M1 chips don't have dedicated ray tracing hardware built-in, the Metal API does support ray tracing.

Sure, ray tracing wouldn't be available for real-time viewing, but for final renders, KeyShot could take advantage of the available unified memory (up to 64 GB on the M1 Max chip) to perform offline GPU ray tracing; just like Blender, Cinema 4D/Redshift and Octane X do.

The performance would be mind blowing.

It only takes adopting Metal, if other rendering applications did it, KeyShot can do it.

Please!

Eugen Fetsch

Quote from: Tony on October 28, 2021, 02:51:08 AM
While the M1 chips don't have dedicated ray tracing hardware built-in, the Metal API does support ray tracing.

Sure, ray tracing wouldn't be available for real-time viewing, but for final renders, KeyShot could take advantage of the available unified memory (up to 64 GB on the M1 Max chip) to perform offline GPU ray tracing; just like Blender, Cinema 4D/Redshift and Octane X do.

The performance would be mind blowing.

It only takes adopting Metal, if other rendering applications did it, KeyShot can do it.

Please!

Blender didn't implemented M1 support yet. They are working to get it work in Blender 3.1 and it is sceduled for the next year. 
Anyway, just because it run, it doesn't mean it runs good.

I'm currently running Blender with Octane on a Win/QUDA machine and would be glad to read more about Octane performance on the new M1 Max chip.

This is what I could find in the OTOY Forum:
QuoteApple M1 (MacBook Air) (TBD - still being tuned, but our Transformers scene is 7.4x slower on M1 than on a 600 OB RTX 3080 | OctaneRender 2020.2 w/ RTX on)
QuoteJust got the M1 Max with 32GB RAM. Have been running some tests lately. I have a rig with 3070 and 32GB RAM. My test scene renders completely in 8 seconds on the 3070 rig whereas the scene took 30 seconds on the M1 Max.

It doesn't sound like mindblowing performance. Looks like it will perform on the same level as the RTX 3060. 

Do you have any other benchmarks? 

Edit: On the OTOY forum you'll find the information that the Octane Plugin still run on the Rosetta option. That means for me, that Octane is not fully supported on the M1 chip.