Main Menu

More Rings

Started by Zander85, November 29, 2011, 02:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zander85

Let me know what you guys think please.  :)

Zander85

The image here is a compressed jpeg and not the original (which is much higher quality). So keep this in mind when making comments please :)

Zander85

it's making the glints look terrible haha

Ed

You've come a long way Zander.   Hope to see a couple of videos soon.

I have a little constructive feedback:

The ring on the left appears to float because the base of the ring and its reflection don't touch.

The ring on the left appears to have a piece of the model missing causing a gap between two of the stones.

The image seems a little blown out - I'd like to see a little more of the facet detail in the large stone at the upper right.  Maybe make two renders using different lighting and combine the best attributes of each in Photoshop.

Overall - good work.  Lets see some more.

Ed

PhilippeV8

for Ed's feedback:
1- true !
2- true .. but it's not geometry missing .. it's pure black reflection .. edit that out in photoshop !
3- true .. personaly, I'd like to see a lighter color of background ... the black is sooo dark !  why not try blue or white with a shade of pink ?

I love the type of ring on the left.  I'd give my wife one if I could afford it :p  I have seen many of those kind, but this one is REAL nice ... it's classic with a touch of modern (detail between the stones) ... and that's exactly what my wife & I like.

Ed

Philippe - on second look you are right - the gap is just a reflection.  Easy fix in post.

Getting jewelry in one "take" is not easy, just as it is not easy in photography.

For something like this I would make two and perhaps three renders with the lighting optimized for the metal, the stones, and the background.  Combine in PS.

Like anything else, the amount of effort depends on the usage for the final image.

Let's see what Zander comes back with :)

Ed

Zander85

This was exactly the kind of feed back I am looking for, thanks guys!

Ed-that's exactly what I did do. The diamonds were rendered with a couple of different HDRIs and the metal on another etc. and then I compiled them together in photoshop.
I agree with all of your crits guys thank you. I was suspicious of that dark spot on the wedding band (left ring) before posting now I will take care of that for sure. I don't think I have a say over the color of the background but this looks like were going to run a magazine ad with this so I will take care to make it look nice in the ad. I will also work on that floating reflection and I will make sure to upload a higher quality image when I fix some of these problems.

Thanks again guys

cheers,
Zander

Zander85

Ps- does anyone have experience with transparency issues when working with CMYK colors for print? I want to use the screen blending mode on those glares but this does not work in CMYK mode.

Zander85

Philippe- The ring on the left is a wedding band we made here in the store with our CAD program to match the halo ring there. It has a pave setting. You could always pm me if you would like one made for your wife. I could talk to my boss for you and I'm sure we could figure something out if you were interested. I agree it is a very nice ring.

And thanks again for your crits.

Zander85

I made some corrections (still low quality). Let me know what you guys think please, Thanks!  8)

Josh3D

Nice Zander! Love the additional detail in the large diamond up top. The left ring still seems floating a little bit.

Ed

Looks good Zander.  The only thing I would do is lighten the little dark area of the top diamond next to the right-hand prong.  It makes the diamond look like it's cut off.

Ed

EGON

I'm holding my tongue..........................

Zander85

Thanks for the crits guys, its really helping me out. I agree with you guys. I'm gonna see if I can make that ring on the left look a little more seated and I'll try and tweek that top diamond. You are right it does look cut off, good eye!  :)

Zander85

Here is the same render with a few tweeks thanks to your crits guys. I still haven't figured out a work around for getting those glints to work in a cymk document without looking bad.