Raw marble edge

Started by polo, December 15, 2021, 03:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polo

Hi,

I'm looking to create this effect on one edge of an object, but I'm not sure how to do it.
I tried to use a displacement map on one side by separating the face I want to apply it on, but the edge are not following the other edge (see picture)
Is there a way to have the displacement map on, and the two edge matching at the same time?

Thanks

Paul

Thanks,

Paul

mattjgerard

you are going about it the right way, but there is a LOT going on on that edge, so it will be interesting to see what works.

Do you have access to any other modeling software besides keyshot?

polo

I use rhino, and tried with a loft of different curves but it's not looking great.
I think the best might be to create the edge of the surface in rhino and then be able to apply the displacement map in keyshot on the face with an offset of 1mm from the edge so that the edge of the displaced surface is still aligned with the other edge.

So I guess that the displacement map would have to be a combination of the actual pattern + a thin white square all around the displacement map. but I don't know how to create that kind of white square...

mattjgerard

you could create the displacement map, and export it as a flat file, bring it into photoshop or something and create the edge in there. If you have photoshop, there are a ton of noise patterns in there that you can tryout as well.

mattjgerard

in keyshot you might be able to use the gradient, occlusion or curvature node to create the white rim around the object too, just thought of that. Would take some experimenting, as annoying as it is, not all the nodes will be able to be used in the places you want them to be.

TGS808

FYI... you're not doing anything wrong. This is a bug that's been around since displacement was introduced. If you don't have a very slight fillet on the shape, the edges separate. Of course, that only matters if you want to apply displacement to the entire object. Since you have to separate the edges for what you need to do, the edges are going to fly off no matter what. Not sure what the solve is outside of them fixing the bug.

INNEO_MWo

Perhaps this example might help to show the suggestions of the previous posts?! The side wall is displaced max 50 mm.

CheerEO
Marco

TGS808

Marco, that is genius! The seam between the two isn't 100% perfect but that can be fixed in post. I don't think you could ask for better than this.

INNEO_MWo

Thanks.

It is 99.99% suitable and nobody can see the missing .01% if camera angle and lightings is from the right direction. It was my first try on this. The mask for the displacement controls the roughness, that causes the noticeable seem. If you tweak the roughness with another mask. The top shines like the other material and you would not see any seem = 100% solution without post fixing.

Maybe an occlusion texture or a 1px toon texture would work as well?! Most of you are skilled to adapt this solution.
Or on the other hand, a part that is not split (and my source file is) with some smart masks similar what I used, would work better.

Curious to see your solutions.

CheerEO
Marco

TGS808

I realize I should have worded that differently. Yes, I would agree that it is 99.99%. Again, I don't think anyone could ask for better. And it can be done with no modeling software, right inside KeyShot. Very cool!

mattjgerard

Dang it marco, that's the solution I was working on too! I almost had it figured out with the occlusion node creating a black lip around the edge of the object, but once the geometry was displaced, the occlusion map freaked out and didn't work.

Nicely done, this needs to get put into the install kit as a template.

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: mattjgerard on December 16, 2021, 01:07:53 PM
Nicely done, this needs to get put into the install kit as a template.

Or I load it into the cloud?!?

btw, thanks Matt!

polo

Impressive, thanks!
I'm trying to apply it to my object, which is a box like yours, but different dimensions, so I am changing the scale of the gradient, but it has to be very precise and you can only see what you are doing while the displacement map is off so I was wondering if it was the correct way to do or if there was a way to auto scale the gradient to go from both side of the faces?

INNEO_MWo

The gradient is applied to the part and not the entire model. So it should work on every size. You can understand the values of the gradient as percentage values.