Main Menu

Wicker furniture

Started by hooj1, March 05, 2012, 02:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooj1

Working on rendering some faux wicker furniture. Modeled in Solidworks. I'd like to model the cushions on something like 3d max but don't know how to use it. I thikn it would look much better with better looking cushions.

PhilippeV8

You need to add a very crisp looking texture to that floor !  It'll make your ground and the background blend, which will bring your rendered scene in the foto scene.  Also, you've got a tsunami going on in your background foto ;p

I think if you have 3Dmax, with some basic tutorial work, you'll be able to make those cushions you want soon.

Speedster

Personally, I rather like the crisp, firm looking, cushions.  They relate well with the angular lines of the rattan shapes.  You may want to play also with the brightness setting (and perhaps contrast) on the rattan material.

I agree with the constraints issues in SolidWorks, which is why I am evaluating Modo as a possible addition to my pipeline.  I'm searching for some "freedom" in my modeling.  Unfortunately, Modo has a brutal learning curve.  But, it's a reasonable price-point.

Here's two tricks you may want to explore in SolidWorks.  1) Try using "Variable Radius Fillets", especially along the top-front edges, to help soften and give them a sat-on quality.  2)  Play with the "Freeform" tool.  Insert>Surface>Freeform.  Kind of nasty at first, but actually a quite powerful tool.

I really like your overall design concepts!

Bill G
www.GouldStudios.com

hooj1

Thx!
For the cushions is use surface sweeps and replace face. It works out well but I can't get the little wrinkles and seams that I want. Its the little details that make a model more realistic.

Speedster

For wrinkles and seams, do play with the Freeform tool!
Bill G