Turntables do not complete

Started by dopepope, January 10, 2022, 08:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dopepope

After hours of rendering a turntable animation, I try to close out the window so it saves to the folder, but it just gives me a progress bar titled 'SET UP' that fills up repeatedly, over and over, and never stops. Only way out is to force quit, and lose the work. It can repeat this 'SET UP' for hours. This has happened to me several times. Other times it just saves to turntable and I'm fine. But when it does this to me while trying to render client work, it's crippling. Any ideas why this is happening and how to stop it?

Keyshot 10, on Mac, Mojave 10.14.6.

TGS808

When rendering the animation, do you tell KS to save all the frames or do you render straight to a video file? If you're not saving the frames, it's a good practice to get into. I don't know why you're having the issue you're having but if you tell KS to save the frames, a problem like this won't matter. If that progress bar continues and you have to force quit out of KS to get it to stop, all the individual frames will still be saved. You can bring those frames into Premiere, After Effects or even Photoshop (or the video editor of your choice) and output the final turntable animation. Do it that way and no work will be lost.

dopepope

Yes, I did turn that off. I figured it would save time. So, for future turntable renders I'll have it save the frames. But that doesn't seem to correct the issue, it's more of a workaround.
And because I'm not familiar with Premiere or After Effects, it might not even be a viable workaround for me. But I'll try it. Thank you for your input.

Anindo Ghosh

QuoteAnd because I'm not familiar with Premiere or After Effects, it might not even be a viable workaround for me.

There are many free online (or downloadable) tools that can combine your rendered frames into a video file. For instance:

TGS808

Quote from: dopepope on January 10, 2022, 08:48:17 PM
And because I'm not familiar with Premiere or After Effects, it might not even be a viable workaround for me. But I'll try it. Thank you for your input.

As I mentioned, you can also do it with Photoshop. Just open the frames as a sequence and then, export, render video. It works perfectly and it's a good option for people who aren't familiar with any video editing software programs.

dopepope

Thanks for that. I do have and use Photoshop, just never to make a turntable. But this should be something I can handle. And, I have successfully made turntables with Keyshot before, so this issue is strange to me. I'm also not extremely knowledgeable, mostly self taught with trial and error, so I tend to stick to what worked last time, even though I don't entirely know why things are working the way they do. Love the app tho. I use it mostly with ZBrush, so I hope Zbrush's being owned by Maxon doesn't freeze Keyshot out moving forward.

TGS808

Quote from: dopepope on January 11, 2022, 01:27:33 PM
Thanks for that. I do have and use Photoshop, just never to make a turntable. But this should be something I can handle. And, I have successfully made turntables with Keyshot before, so this issue is strange to me. I'm also not extremely knowledgeable, mostly self taught with trial and error, so I tend to stick to what worked last time, even though I don't entirely know why things are working the way they do. Love the app tho. I use it mostly with ZBrush, so I hope Zbrush's being owned by Maxon doesn't freeze Keyshot out moving forward.

I certainly wouldn't want to edit video in Photoshop but before I started using After Effects, I exported all my turntable animations out of Photoshop. For something that simple, it works like a charm. You shouldn't have any problems.

Just another note: You said you turned off "save frames" initially because you thought it might save time. In actuality, it doesn't because KS is rendering all those frames anyway. It just ensures that KS doesn't throw them out when it's done. Another plus to doing it that way is if you need to re-render to fix something, you only have to render the affected frames, drop them back into the sequence and re-export, rather than re-render the entire animation.

dopepope

You're very helpful. I appreciate your replies. Thank you. I'll be sure to leave that turned on.

dopepope

Ok. Last night I rendered another turntable in Keyshot. Took 12 hours. Woke up to that same 'SET UP' bug. But I saved the frames this time. I was able to create a turntable in Photoshop with the frames, but it doesn't look the same as the ones I already have completed thru Keyshot when it actually works. It's adding thick black bars on the left and right sides, so the aspect ratio is different. Any idea how to get rid of that?

TGS808

The export should default to the aspect ratio that matches your original frames but it seems in your case it didn't. Make sure when you export, that the size is set to "Document Size". That will set it to match your original frame size.

dopepope

Hmm, it was set to 'Document Size'.

TGS808

You can try custom size. I can't see any other way it could happen. There's no reason it would add those black bars randomly. Can you zip the frames and share them? I think you can send a PM if you don't want to post them here.

dopepope

I think I figured it out. The final output size in Keyshot was higher than the max size in Photoshop. I had to manually change the size of the frames, then 'document size' matched what was there. Most recent turntable was exactly how I want it to look. Thank you for your help!

dopepope

Any way to minimize render times? 12 hours seems pretty long. will having 'denoise' on help? And my current CPU usage is 75%, should that be 100%? Any other ways?

TGS808

Good to hear the latest one turned out the way you wanted.

Now, maybe I'm misunderstanding but Photoshop's max document size is 300,000 x 300,000 pixels. Your frames out of KS were bigger than that? I don't think Photoshop will even let you export video at that size. Meanwhile, 4K video resolution is 3840 x 2160. Even 8K is only 7860 x 4320. Why are you making them so big? Where are you using these turntables? I can't imagine the video application that calls for such a size. So, my first recommendation to speed things up would be to render at a much more reasonable size. Again, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meant by "final output size in Keyshot was higher than the max size in Photoshop". Let me know.

Concerning the CPU usage, if you're rendering on a single machine (sounds like you are) and you're leaving it to run overnight then definitely max out your CPU to give everything to KS.

I don't really like or use the denoise feature but turning it on will not cut your time at all since it's an effect added post render for each frame.