How to convert a 3ds max vray materials to Keyshot. ?

Started by Claus G Svendsen, February 21, 2022, 03:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claus G Svendsen

HI
We have several scenes that was made in 3ds max and all materials are vray materials.
Now when we export that to FBX and then bring it in to Keyshot, all materials are gone.

How to automatically convert all the materials to before exporting to FBX ? 

TGS808

Not possible. Vray's proprietary materials can't to be imported into KeyShot any more than KeyShot's proprietary materials could be imported into Vray. It's by design. Some of the color info may transfer over if FBX retains that info (I'm not sure) but as far as the overall look of the materials, you'll need to remake them in KeyShot.

Claus G Svendsen

HI
Is it not possible to have the materials converted into standard materials in some way?
I cannot be the only one having this issue?
Keyshot what are you suggesting here?

RRIS

Quote from: Claus G Svendsen on February 21, 2022, 07:41:04 PM
HI
Is it not possible to have the materials converted into standard materials in some way?
I cannot be the only one having this issue?
Keyshot what are you suggesting here?

I'm not with Keyshot, but how would this be their issue? Suppose a new render engine comes out tomorrow with a completely proprietary shader system, should Keyshot jump into action to be able to convert those?
I'd suggest you export your models to Keyshot, through a plugin or FBX, fully UV mapped and re-apply the textures you used in Keyshot. If you're lucky and used PBR textures, you can easily use those in Keyshot.

Claus G Svendsen

Well the fact that a lot of the models out there on platforms like 3DSKY and turbosquid are made for 3ds max with Vray materials it would be really handy if there was an easy automated way to convert the vray materials to standard materials so its even more easy to use this models with Keyshot.
You are right its not Keyshot's responsibility but would you not try to make using your software as easy as possible ?

RRIS

Quote from: Claus G Svendsen on February 22, 2022, 06:13:19 AM
Well the fact that a lot of the models out there on platforms like 3DSKY and turbosquid are made for 3ds max with Vray materials it would be really handy if there was an easy automated way to convert the vray materials to standard materials so its even more easy to use this models with Keyshot.
You are right its not Keyshot's responsibility but would you not try to make using your software as easy as possible ?

I'm fully on board with the idea of how nice it would be to use those downloaded models in Keyshot. I have a bunch of them sitting on my harddrive that I'd love to use, but no longer can for exactly that reason. I wish more uploaders there would consider uploading in a more universal format.
I'm sure the Keyshot devs would love to be able to load/convert Vray materials, it would be a big benefit for them. But this is the world of closed-source software, it would be up to the generosity of Chaos Group to make such a translation possible (or possibly, legal). After all, if you enable such a translation to a competitor's software, you run the risk of losing customers. That's capitalism for you :/

Claus G Svendsen

I know there is a build in scene converter in 3ds max. But I am not sure how to use this converter to change the materials to a format that will be readable for Keyshot.

Would be really interested in hearing from others if this is a possibility and how to do it ?

INNEO_MWo

If a tool is capable to export its shader as a AxF file, KeyShot can use it as a measured material type.
Also a basic material that is exported as a glb file, KeyShot would converts as a generic material.
Both types can be stored in lib to reuse them.

Does anybody compared a MTL file from KeyShot with a material file from other render engines?

Just my two cents

CheerEO
Marco