Anyone have luck using Substance Painter with Keyshot ?

Started by hve, March 27, 2022, 06:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hve

Hello,

I'm going nuts trying to use Substance painter with Keyshot. Each time I export a texture to Keyshot the textures show up very small in Keyshot. I've been trying different options, following some tutorials too but I don't seem to manage to get this working, anyway has some good results doing this ? Also when I export models from Fusion 360 I have to select Auto Unwrap > recompute all to get the model working in Substance painter Thanks for your help, Hans

TGS808

It looks like you didn't you change the mapping type from "Box" to "UV" in KeyShot.

hve

Yes indeed it looks like it but it's set to UV so that's strange, I've been looking for the whole day without any luck. The model looks ok in Substance painter but once exported it's completely broken, thanks

hve

Seems I found something, I have to re export the mesh again not just the textures, then import both the new exported mesh and texture from Substance painter, then it seems to work , strange

hve

It works only on exported meshes from Substance painter but they are scaled way too big compared to the original scale, I hoped to get around this issue but without any luck

EDIT. Using .gltf format exported from Keyshot and imported into SP seemed to work and keep the same size really strange stuff going on here, I thin it's a scaling issue inside SP that seems to interpret mm as cm's

TGS808

Quote from: hve on March 27, 2022, 12:23:40 PM
Seems I found something, I have to re export the mesh again not just the textures, then import both the new exported mesh and texture from Substance painter, then it seems to work , strange

Nothing strange about that. In fact, I assumed you had done this step. If you export the only textures from SP and try to apply them to the original model in KS that original model has no idea what to do with them. This is because the UVs for the textures were set up in SP and that original model hasn't gone through the process in SP of being told what goes where.

TGS808

Quote from: hve on March 27, 2022, 01:07:41 PM
It works only on exported meshes from Substance painter

This is to be expected.

but they are scaled way too big compared to the original scale

I'm not seeing this happen. Everything comes into KeyShot exactly the same way as it looked in Substance. Nothing is scaling up or down.

EDIT. Using .gltf format exported from Keyshot and imported into SP seemed to work and keep the same size really strange stuff going on here, I thin it's a scaling issue inside SP that seems to interpret mm as cm's

You shouldn't have to do that. I exported an FBX out of Fusion 360. Imported that FBX into SP and added textures. Exported the new mesh out of SP as an FBX and also exported the textures. The FBX from SP was then imported into KS and imported SP textures were added. Everything looks just as it did in SP. I don't know why you're having scaling issues.

hve

You shouldn't have to do that. I exported an FBX out of Fusion 360. Imported that FBX into SP and added textures. Exported the new mesh out of SP as an FBX and also exported the textures. The FBX from SP was then imported into KS and imported SP textures were added. Everything looks just as it did in SP. I don't know why you're having scaling issues.

Thanks for your replies, yes strange I managed to do one model without the scaling issue but most of the times I have scaling issues so .fbx doesn't work, also it doesn't look very nice once exported from Fusion 360 to .fbx or obj in Keyshot the model has issues that's why I usually export to .step from Fusion which looks perfect. And then from there I can export to other formats but straight .fbx export from Fusion is not looking good.

TGS808

I usually also export STEP from Fusion to use in KS but since Substance can't import STEP, I went with FBX. It was a simple model but everything looked ok in KS.

hve

From what I read the FBX export in Fusion 360 is somewhat lacking options, there's a plugin from Simlab that seems to handle this better, I'm also trying out RIZOMUV to have more options on the UV unwrapping looks very interesting, my hope is to have more control over my textures this way.

hve

Just installed FBX Exporter and now it's definitely working great, so it's the Fusion 360 fbx export that doesn't work that well on complex forms. I didn't like Substance so much in the beginning but now the way  it works with Keyshot is really cool.