Not getting 100% CPU utilization

Started by BoazD, April 26, 2022, 08:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoazD

I noticed that while on CPU rendering (i9 12900K) - keyshot doesn't utilize 100% of my CPU unless the rendering window is active. Not even just visible on the screen, I actually need to click on it and not do anything else with the machine. Can't use the browser, can't view the task manager, can't even lock windows and walk away. As soon as I click away from the rendering window or lock windows my CPU utilization immediately drops to 40%.
Anyone else experiencing this issue? Is it a Keyshot thing or a Windows thing?
Cheers

mattjgerard

Don't have that issue with my workstation, that sounds like an application priority setting somewhere. I can run mine locally in the background and it will slamm all the cores to the hilt to the point where i can't actually use anything else! So, no that's not how its supposed to work. What is your CPU usage set to in Keyshot? The dropdown at the top of the interface on the left? I usually set mine to 62 cores (out of 64) that leaves me enough to do other stuff without bogging. Otherwise you'd have to probably go to the tech support forum and submit a ticket, they will be very helpful in figuring it out. are you using the Normal or Background rendering setting?

BoazD

yeah it makes no difference... even in background rendering mode i will lose CPU utilization as soon as i click off the render window...
I use 100% or 92% on the utilization dropdown but that's not the problem - the CPU revvs up to the correct level when the render window is actively selected, and drops as soon as i click away or lock the machine...
I guess my next stop is the support forum ;)

mattjgerard

Quote from: BoazD on April 28, 2022, 01:05:00 AM
yeah it makes no difference... even in background rendering mode i will lose CPU utilization as soon as i click off the render window...
I use 100% or 92% on the utilization dropdown but that's not the problem - the CPU revvs up to the correct level when the render window is actively selected, and drops as soon as i click away or lock the machine...
I guess my next stop is the support forum ;)

Yep that's where I would go. It def sounds like a windows problem, something about app priority