Saving materials with empty nodes

Started by hve, May 04, 2022, 05:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hve

Hello,

I was trying to save a materials with empty nodes , I hoped this would save them but I found out that only the connected nodes are saved , how can I save this and keep all materials inside one material graph ?

thanks, Hans

TGS808

Why not make it a multi-material? One for each texture. That way, each of your textures will always be connected and you can switch between them in multi-material list.

hve

Thanks yes that's a good idea, but I was surprised that empty nodes aren't saved, even when you save the project they seem to be gone. thanks

Eric Summers

Yeah, I've disconnected nodes before that I wanted to keep while creating a material only to come back later (after saving the scene) to find they were gone. It would be nice if there was at least an option to not delete disconnected nodes.
(I also used disconnected nodes waaay out in the corners of the material graph so I could position the view how I liked, since KS keeps such a tight frame around the nodes)

hve

That's strange and I wonder if this isn't a bug as there are many occasions you may want to have several options for a texture and the material graph is really handy for this

TGS808

Quote from: hve on May 04, 2022, 11:33:49 AM
That's strange and I wonder if this isn't a bug as there are many occasions you may want to have several options for a texture and the material graph is really handy for this

I've also seen this happen but I don't think it's a bug. On those occasions when you want to have several options for a texture, multi-material will do the trick.

INNEO_MWo

A material with disabled connection will be saved.

hve

Quote from: TGS808 on May 04, 2022, 12:40:15 PM
Quote from: hve on May 04, 2022, 11:33:49 AM

I've also seen this happen but I don't think it's a bug. On those occasions when you want to have several options for a texture, multi-material will do the trick.

I'm not sure, indeed the multi material is a good solution but there's something strange going on also with a single material with disconnected nodes

hve

Quote from: INNEO_MWo on May 04, 2022, 09:51:59 PM

Here it doesn't seem to work, if I do the following :

1. open material graph for simple paint material
2. disconnect the nodes and save as new material
3. open and apply this saved material and open it in Material graph

then you see that's it's opened with wireframe module so this strange

hve

Just got an answer from Luxion support on this so seems that's this is designed the way it works :

This is as designed, if your nodes are not connected to anything they will be removed from the material.
You can right click the tether that connects the node and disable it this way, this will ensure that the nodes will not be removed from the material.

sloanelliot

Quote from: hve on May 05, 2022, 12:02:56 AM
Quote from: INNEO_MWo on May 04, 2022, 09:51:59 PM

Here it doesn't seem to work, if I do the following :

1. open material graph for simple paint material
2. disconnect the nodes and save as new material
3. open and apply this saved material and open it in Material graph

then you see that's it's opened with wireframe module so this strange

It's definitely annoying but in totally different scenarios, it's actually nice to be able to "clean the slate" -- BUT, as somebody stated above, if you do want to preserve those links, all you need to do is select the line in between, right-click and select "disable" and it will turn to a dotted line instead, which will preserve all components until deleted.

TGS808

Quote from: hve on May 05, 2022, 07:20:02 AM
Just got an answer from Luxion support on this so seems that's this is designed the way

Just as I said. Not a bug.