Main Menu

multiple imports

Started by harshcg, May 25, 2010, 12:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harshcg

I'm exporting car model in different parts, so that i can hide the body at one go and have tires shaded and rendered, and vice versa. When i import body.obj it sticks to the ground as there is no tyre included. So basically keyshot cant remember any maya's translation properties.
So i have to attach a small mesh at 0 value in maya, attach it to body and then it snaps in keyshot.

Is there a better way of multiple importing and grouping the parts for better management in keyshot?
Is OBJ best format to export?  ::)

quigley

If you colour up the parts in Maya and export to OBJ the parts should come in as different object material groups som you can hide/show different objects easily in Keyshot.....or am I missing something?

harshcg

your right quigley...but let me explain myself.
I am shading a car with about 25 shader/materials attached to it, which i already did in maya as you said.
Now when i import them in keyshot, if suppose my car is made of 25 materials/parts itself, there is no one click to hide the complete body, so i can render only wheels. I have to manually hide each component on screen one by one 25 times. So no smart grouping really.

Is there a way that i can retain suppose 50 materials in whole car, but still group based on mesh grouping? Like one group for body and one group for wheels. But they have their own sub groups based on materials?
Or grouping works only based on materials? Hope I'm making sense.

quigley

No way in 1.9, but 2 is better for that....

eobet

Hello!

When Keyshot 2 is released I will start using it for the same purpose as the original poster.

What happens if you open the wheels first, and then open the body, merging the scene? Will the body still stick to the ground, or will it retain its correct position?

Does this happen even with STEP/IGES imports?

quigley

Provided the parts came from the same model and/or have the same origin, and you check "use same co-ordinates" (or something like that - not at a Keyshot machine now so from memory) you should be OK and all the parts should come in in the right place. Turn that option off and you get a different story.