optimized animation rendering

Started by germannick, July 12, 2022, 05:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

germannick

In animations there are always moments without movements. Those frames are absolutly identical and could just be multiplied/duplicated (in the background) instead of seperately rendered. That would speed up animation render process tremendously.
(my current work around is also time consuming and unnecessary I feel)

Eugen Fetsch

How about render the frame just once and duplicate it post using Relove or AfterEffects? 

theAVator

Quote from: Eugen Fetsch on July 18, 2022, 09:49:03 AM
How about render the frame just once and duplicate it post using Relove or AfterEffects?
That's a workaround, but forces user to either cut up their animation renders to account for that, or change their animations to account for it prior to queueing,which could mess up timings and such depending on the need/use of the animation. But then it also adds post processing time to search out those frames, cut the sequence, then either duplicate or modify time settings to fill the space needed with that frame. Again, time consuming - possibly equal to or more than the extra time of rendering the duplicate frames.
There has to be a way to add some intelligence to the code for rendering where it analyzes the frames and finds areas where there are duplicate frames and adjusts itself accordingly and duplicating frames as a native act. I would hope so at least.

mattjgerard

Quote from: Eugen Fetsch on July 18, 2022, 09:49:03 AM

I did this all the time standard procedure when I was rendering out of Cinema 4D or octane. In edit its a HUGE time suck when trying to just edit and composite. If I was in AE, it wasn't too bad being able to precomp, but it was still things I had to think about when I already had too many things to think about :)

Not sure how a program can determine when things aren't changing between frames without rendeirng and pixel comparing the frames. Would there be a way to do this pre-render? Maybe the user could flag certain frames for duplication? that seems to be a reasonable request?

theAVator

Quote from: mattjgerard on July 26, 2022, 07:27:09 AM
Not sure how a program can determine when things aren't changing between frames without rendeirng and pixel comparing the frames. Would there be a way to do this pre-render? Maybe the user could flag certain frames for duplication? that seems to be a reasonable request?
Like anywhere an animation is not scheduled to occur in the timeline would contain duplicate frames. It should be able to pick that out as part of the render queuing. Maybe I'm thinking it's more intelligent than it is in terms of the software analyzing for that, but it can't be outside the realm of possible, right?

Taking it a step further, but even intra-Frame there could be areas of duplication that could theoretically be duplicated while only rendering new/changing areas within the frame. I wouldn't expect that any time soon, but would be interesting to see.