New Medical Illustration with Keyshot

Started by wayneheim, July 27, 2022, 06:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayneheim

Not the typical use of Keyshot. Cover image for a surgical technique for a medical device manufacturer. Multiple surface renders done then assembled and blended in Photoshop to create final image. Received an award of excellence for advertising visual and best of show award at this year's medical illustration conference. Image (c) Wayne Heim

INNEO_MWo

wayneheim

Josh3D

Always amazed at these renderings, Wayne. Always really interesting and the detail is great!

gracecab

Hi - Beautiful illustration... artwork more like it.    I have a question about the bone marrow cell 'crators'... I am making more of a foam open cell look for a breathing filter in a voice prosthesis device for my company, wondering what your nodes were in KeyShot to develop that porus look in the marrow?  Any thoughts how to develop an almost white color, not dark ?  Either way, nice job... inspiring.   Chris
ps:  the attached foam is about .75" diameter so you get the sense of the size.

wayneheim

Chris, the ports look in the gray implant is actually 3d modeled. I have done some cut bone work with nodes but it's not as structured as your sample. Not sure you can generate that specific of a latticework with the nodes.

Wayne

wayneheim

Chris, here is a thread where I worked with others to develop my cut bone approach. Holes are not totally empty though.

https://forum.keyshot.com/index.php?topic=25310.msg105970#msg105970

gracecab

Thank you Wayne.  The open celled foam polyethylene is definitely a different animal than the cell marrow.  I'm hoping (praying?) that the world of KeyShot sages will deem open celled foam (with deep open holes of the spaghetti plastic connected type... not the gray bubble looking kind) to be a worthy material to make. 

Is there a best place to put this kind of material creation request up for grabs... I got a tentative payment of about 200 $ for anyone who wants to try to get us what that looks like in the photo...

mattjgerard

Quote from: gracecab on August 10, 2022, 03:34:28 PM
Thank you Wayne.  The open celled foam polyethylene is definitely a different animal than the cell marrow.  I'm hoping (praying?) that the world of KeyShot sages will deem open celled foam (with deep open holes of the spaghetti plastic connected type... not the gray bubble looking kind) to be a worthy material to make. 

Is there a best place to put this kind of material creation request up for grabs... I got a tentative payment of about 200 $ for anyone who wants to try to get us what that looks like in the photo...

I would bet a dollar that you won't be able to get that modeled in Keyshot. I'm poking around in Cinema 4d and I think you'd be able to do it in there, but it won't be procedural once you export it into KS though. My thoughts is to find a way to model it larger than you need, then use a cutaway material on an object in KS with the proper cap setting (inherit? maybe?) and use that to define the final shape of the chunk of foam. It looks like an inverted vorioni pattern, rounded somewhat. Merk makes some cool plugins for Cinema that might be able to get that look with geometry, but def would be a tough one to do in KS alone.

The other thought that just popped into my head is to use an object that contains a cube filled with a bunch of spheres (vary the size by 10-20% for randomness) and then put a cutaway material on that group and use that to "cut away" the holes in a simple cube or cylinder. that would get you that inverted spaghetti look. But again, you won't get that with a simple material, i don't think.

gracecab

:o
Wayne - thank you for these ideas.   I will keep poking around with these ideas.  There will be a point of minimum returns where we will just mimic the foam in KeyShot...
I did notice one NODE that seemed to work with multiple 'sizes' or layers of a surface texture... I'm thinking that making something look like it has cut through cells all throughout the solid cylinder is the best bet... layer deep bump upon deep bump to get a simulated cell effect.  It won't be the actual foam struture through and through... which would be easiest, but apparantly not readily available out there in internet land...
Will keep thinking, ...

wayneheim

Ok Chris, here is something to look at. Think I'm getting in the neighborhood. Used flakes. Wanted to use spheres but spheres caused issues.  This is a low poly cylinder with flakes and texture map applied to the density texture. Other thing I thought of is using fibers. You could get a nice crossing pattern but it would be totally random with that. 

Wayne

wayneheim

Chris, here is a closer sample. You would probably use a more organic mesh alpha to start with but you get the idea.

Wayne

gracecab

Wayne:  This is great - Thank you so much.
I see how the honeycomb bmp could be mushed up in photoshop or something to get a more random looking finish, is that what you mean?
Not sure if this is ok to ask, but can you email or send me that file you made?  Being a noob this would help me see the structure and what other deets you used for the Nodes.  I actually did just assemble from your screenshot and am plugging away... In any case, this is so helpful and thank you for the jumpstart.   

wayneheim

I'll upload a bit later. One thing I let out is I have about 10 thin cylinders stacked over each other and then I rotated them slightly on tach layer to get the randomness of the layers. If you had a big enough texture map you could slide it around to randomize as well vs rotating the model. Just be sure to unlink the materials.