Model as a Model as a Rendering

Started by Speedster, December 08, 2011, 05:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi all;

I never get out to the shop anymore now that I'm a designer, so the modelmaker in me gets somewhat frustrated at times.  So, to relieve the itch to "make something", I decided on the next best thing.  This is my SolidWorks model of the Case Traction Engine, shown as a "model", on a blueprint, as per the neat Russian Model Airplane Engine".   http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=2611.0

There's some issues with the KS3 SolidWorks importer, one of which is importing and scaling new geometry. It won't.  Since the Case is modeled full size (rear wheel six feet diameter), so I decided to model all in the SW assembly; the "blueprint" plane is about the size of my living room, and I scaled the tools as well.  However, I used the cool "move" feature in KS3 to shuffle things around for composition.  The "blueprint" is a Photoshopped SW drawing.  And I made the "paper" too thick!

The HDR is the awesome "WhiteCharger2" that Tim Feher posted this week at [urlhttp://keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=2828.0][/url].  Thanks, Tim!!!  It's an amazing dome- I also use HDR-LightStudio Pro, and would never have figured that one out!

Oh well, the fantasy is over, and it's back to work...

Bill G
www.GouldStudios.com

PhilippeV8

Ok, drop the background image, replace with a HDRI so it looks like in a room on a table top.  Add some DOF and it'll look like an awesome model !!

Speedster

Thanks for pushing me on this, Philippe.  As you hinted, it's all about context.  But we need to tell the story, so to speak.  Another thing I'm becoming more aware of is how easy it is to not go the extra mile to put in that defining effort.  Especially when you're just fooling around.  We've all been there!

So...  Here's a new image.  I shot the backplate at the Henry Ford (museum) some years ago.  Seemed appropriate for this image. I was too lazy to clean off my own workbench to photograph it!  New dome in HDR Light Studio Pro.  All "windows".

Bill G

feher

That's awesome, Your images have grown ten fold this past year ! I need to step up my game.
Next time your in the area of the Henry Ford Museum let me know would love to meet up.
Tim