Transferring material libraries from Keyshot 2 into Keyshot 3?

Started by Xidor, December 06, 2011, 05:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xidor

Hi guys,

I finally got Keyshot 3 installed on my Mac, will do the PC side shortly.

I opened a file I had created in Keyshot 2 and I can see some materials didn't come with it. I had saved new material categories in Keyshot 2 that has Meshes from Hypershot. Also some custom paint materials and plastic materials.

I experimented with trying to copy the Mesh materials over to KS 3, but it didn't work. Are the materials incompatible or is there a way to do this? I'm sure I just missed how to do it.

Thanks for any help and advise!

Nelson

jhiker

I've not verified this myself but I believe if you save it as a 'package' in Keyshot 2 and open it as a 'package' in Keyshot 3 it will bring in the specific materials as well as the backplate & environment.
Let us know whether it works OK.

Xidor

Thanks for your reply!

Do you mean saving the Keyshot 2 bip file as a package? Or saving the materials in KS2 as a package?

I never did this before!

jhiker

The .bip file - see this frpm a previous thread..

Maybe there is a little misunderstanding. I understand that "Save" write a file with the geometry, the settings, and the links to the local path of HDR, textures, bump, label and so on. But if you use a specific HDR, and send the BIP file to someone who doesn't have the HDR file, it won't see the right scene.
While "Package" save also in the file, the HDR, textures, and so on. So you can send your "package" to anybody, and the result will be exactly the same than yours.

Xidor